Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How JPMorgan’s plan to kill credit cards split the bank

tag
rgd51
Frequent Contributor

Re: How JPMorgan’s plan to kill credit cards split the bank

This is such a surprise for me since I always thought credit cards were a huge profit maker for them?

Message 11 of 24
805orbust
Valued Contributor

@rgd51 @ I only have 2 Chase cards and they're the only ones I desire. I suppose world domination is more desirable to these types than a single line item of profit.Smiley Very Happy

Message 12 of 24
rgd51
Frequent Contributor

If they take this live next year like the article says it makes me concerned they might start nerfing their cards and not focusing on keeping their cards competive.

Message 13 of 24
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

One thing that you can bet on, or take to the bank  ....is that it is all about the bottom line.

I will mention one word ..."GREED" !!!

It's all about cutting fees to VISA and MC ..to line said pockets,

and Possibly try to bolster a sagging stock price?

(Click image to enlarge)(Click image to enlarge)

I have been leaning more heavily towards credit unions,

if Chase continues down this road?, I can see me closing everything out with them.

Will leave it at that, least I veer off..into really giving my opinion.

Who know's? ..maybe the whole thing could backfire on them?

ETA: The old saying, "You are never to big to fail"

tagging @Anonymous 

Message 14 of 24
Kforce
Valued Contributor

@gdale6 wrote:

https://www.impactinvesting.ai/2022/09/23/how-jpmorgans-plan-to-kill-credit-cards-split-the-bank-fin...

Im not interested in what this appears to be (digital currency other than crypto). The push to track everything one does is not the hallmark of a free society.

+100  ^^^^ This

Message 15 of 24
rgd51
Frequent Contributor

@Kforce wrote:

@gdale6 wrote:

https://www.impactinvesting.ai/2022/09/23/how-jpmorgans-plan-to-kill-credit-cards-split-the-bank-fin...

Im not interested in what this appears to be (digital currency other than crypto). The push to track everything one does is not the hallmark of a free society.

+100  ^^^^ This

At this rate they might as well tell us if they plan to stop issuing credit cards next year so that we can all have peace of mind and move on.

Message 16 of 24
babygirl1256
Senior Contributor

No more Chase cards  for me . . . I was waiting on December to apply for another Chase card . . . but I will pass!!! Smiley Mad

Starting FICO 8 Score in 06/2019: EQ-625, TU-649, EX-640
Current FICO 8 Score in 06/2021: EQ-796, TU-806, EX-812
Goal FICO 8 Score in 06/2022: EQ-825, TU-850, EX-850
Message 17 of 24
rgd51
Frequent Contributor

I will keep my freedom unlimited card open but will diversify and get the citi double cash so I still have a solid everyday card if chase does go through with this next year.

Message 18 of 24
Anonymalous
Valued Contributor

@rgd51 wrote:

If they take this live next year like the article says it makes me concerned they might start nerfing their cards and not focusing on keeping their cards competive.

I don't think that's a real short-term concern. The article talks about how they're pushing into pay by bank partially because they've been left behind by fintechs before (they specifically mention Block's mobile wallet). They're taking the view that if the new technology wins, they want to be in the forefront. But if it doesn't, oh well. It's essentially an insurance policy. Their credit card division is separate and makes $5 billion/year. They're willing to gamble with the potential future loss of that income in order to beat their competitors to the next big thing, but it's just a gamble right now, so there's no reason to eviscerate an existing revenue stream. Only if pay by bank takes off will it start to be a threat.

I think the bill wending its way through Congress that would require payment network alternatives is a more immediate threat to the rewards system.

Message 19 of 24
Anonymalous
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Also, the Federal Reserve replacing the archaic cluncky 1970s ACH system with a more instant state of the art "Fed Now" process. Smiley LOL

Yes, that was news to me as well. It's always amazing how outmoded the bank system feels, so in that sense it's about time.

But I 100% agree with all the privacy concerns other posters have raised.

Message 20 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.