Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IRS postpones April filing...

tag
iced
Valued Contributor

Re: IRS postpones April filing...

@GApeachy wrote:

If/when we see these checks I know our employees will need theirs plus ours to get by on.....it still won't be enough for the duration but helpful while additional relief efforts roll out as this progresses.  @iced "consolation prize"?  ....not its intention, it's purpose is aimed towards those in dire need due to all this strain, so nothing wrong with passing it on to others.  These checks will find their way to ever American's mailbox and only you know your true wealth or lack there of, not these checks.  If at all possible I hope those with less financial strain will pay it forward, then perhaps making your check along with other's in a more favorable position can make it feel like a prize to someone truely in need.  

I think you misunderstand my post. I'm no longer optimistic I'm going to get my refund any time soon either, so waving a check for $1,000 doesn't exactly make it all right for me. They can keep my refund, allow me to collect interest on it, and use it to pay out a few of these checks, then give me my refund with interest later. That's better than printing more money out of nothing.

But fear not, I'm very unlikely to get a $1,000 check (or any amount, really) either. I'm ok with that.

Message 21 of 26
dryanaz80
Valued Member

There's no deal yet from Congress and Democrats are preparing to write their own bill for this Phase 3, so who knows the amount and qualifications to receive a check because it's not designed to be sent to every single American....they want it to be targeted to those with a true need, and Democrats want to restrict how companies can use their funds e.g. not toward stock buy backs. 

With respect to the federal deadline change, does this also move state deadlines? And, if I already set up payment plan with IRS for my tax due, will this proceed as scheduled or will it be pushed out? 

Message 22 of 26
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@iced wrote:

@GApeachy wrote:

If/when we see these checks I know our employees will need theirs plus ours to get by on.....it still won't be enough for the duration but helpful while additional relief efforts roll out as this progresses.  @iced "consolation prize"?  ....not its intention, it's purpose is aimed towards those in dire need due to all this strain, so nothing wrong with passing it on to others.  These checks will find their way to ever American's mailbox and only you know your true wealth or lack there of, not these checks.  If at all possible I hope those with less financial strain will pay it forward, then perhaps making your check along with other's in a more favorable position can make it feel like a prize to someone truely in need.  

I think you misunderstand my post. I'm no longer optimistic I'm going to get my refund any time soon either, so waving a check for $1,000 doesn't exactly make it all right for me. They can keep my refund, allow me to collect interest on it, and use it to pay out a few of these checks, then give me my refund with interest later. That's better than printing more money out of nothing.

But fear not, I'm very unlikely to get a $1,000 check (or any amount, really) either. I'm ok with that.

Why do you think you won't get your refund?  Everything I've heard suggests that people who are owed refunds (and who have actually filed) are getting paid?

Government doesn't make most of it's revenue 4/15 or now 7/15, it's through payroll taxes.  Yeah the stimulus packages are big numbers even in macroeconomic terms and while we can argue the value of giving a 10K interest free loan to the government, I don't see many realities without an utter societal collapse where it's not coming back to you?

        
Message 23 of 26
iced
Valued Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

Why do you think you won't get your refund?  Everything I've heard suggests that people who are owed refunds (and who have actually filed) are getting paid?

Government doesn't make most of it's revenue 4/15 or now 7/15, it's through payroll taxes.  Yeah the stimulus packages are big numbers even in macroeconomic terms and while we can argue the value of giving a 10K interest free loan to the government, I don't see many realities without an utter societal collapse where it's not coming back to you?

Almost every business and organization is winding down staff, sending people to work from home, or outright closing. If they're shutting down new applications for things like GE, reducing hours at RMVs, and all other sorts of government slowdowns, why wouldn't I also expect the IRS to also have reduced capacity for processing things? My speculation is half the reason the deadlines are being pushed back is because people are trapped at home and half because they're cutting their own capacity. Add to that a drop-everything order to start cutting checks to 100 million households and my optimism for timely processing drops.

Message 24 of 26
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@iced wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

Almost every business and organization is winding down staff, sending people to work from home, or outright closing. If they're shutting down new applications for things like GE, reducing hours at RMVs, and all other sorts of government slowdowns, why wouldn't I also expect the IRS to also have reduced capacity for processing things? My speculation is half the reason the deadlines are being pushed back is because people are trapped at home and half because they're cutting their own capacity. Add to that a drop-everything order to start cutting checks to 100 million households and my optimism for timely processing drops.

I don't know how much the IRS is automated.

Certainly there are millions of files that get rubber stamped but the IRS is also pretty backwards technologically from various reports. 

Amazon and others are still shipping I don't know why this would necessarily be different in terms of shipping checks in envelopes.

        
Message 25 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Revelate wrote:

@iced wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

I don't know how much the IRS is automated.

Certainly there are millions of files that get rubber stamped but the IRS is also pretty backwards technologically from various reports. 

Amazon and others are still shipping I don't know why this would necessarily be different in terms of shipping checks in envelopes.

Sad part of the IRS is the use of 1970s type processing systems with the modern front ends (the part we supposedly see). Our Congress needs to allocate funds to bring many Agencies into the 21st Century. The pencil and paper went the way of the Smiley Mad Dinosaur!

Message 26 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.