Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If you have a Target Card

tag
Startome
Regular Contributor

Re: Target card breach

See honestly I prefer a cash only life, but the reality is, credit is a universal deal, and a score is needed. So I make the best of the situation, and have fun with credit =D

Current: EQ FICO 0, TU FICO 0, EX FICO 0 | Starting Score: 0 (08/21/2013)

Starting total revolving credit: $0 | Current total revolving credit: $1600.00

Inquiries (12 Months): EQ 3-4 TU Unsure EX Unsure | Most Recent: 8/19/2013

2013 Goals:
1,000.00 Emergency Fund
1,000.00 Emergency Fund, AGAIN
Mechanically Sound Car
Unsecured Card

Fifth Third $300
U.S. Bank Harley Davidson $300
Capital One Platinum $500
2nd Capital One Platinum $500

Message 11 of 37
twall06
Frequent Contributor

Just my luck I never shop there but last week I stopped to look for a christmas present for my son that I had trouble finding . They had and of course I used one my cards to pay for it. Hopefully nothing will happen but I am adding them to my blacklist with mapco.

Message 12 of 37
Surlaw

@p- wrote:

I like the protections from credit cards so much that I haven't swiped my bank card in years.  Why risk my money when they are willing to risk theirs for me?

Exactly. It's kind of frustrating to hear so many people talk as if they're doing themselves a big favor by shunning credit (as you pointed out, good luck getting a mortgage or a car loan). An alarming number of people I've talked to speak of those who do use credit as if they're irresponsible and un-intelligent in general (I hate to make generalizations, but it appears to mostly be people in my age group (20's to early 30's)).. For sure there are those who are irresponsible, but it should be known that plenty (such as the folks here) of us are very savvy.

It's too bad high schools don't teach kids about this stuff. Finance education should be required IMO.

Message 13 of 37
Startome
Regular Contributor

@Surlaw wrote:

@p- wrote:

I like the protections from credit cards so much that I haven't swiped my bank card in years.  Why risk my money when they are willing to risk theirs for me?

Exactly. It's kind of frustrating to hear so many people talk as if they're doing themselves a big favor by shunning credit (as you pointed out, good luck getting a mortgage or a car loan). An alarming number of people I've talked to speak of those who do use credit as if they're irresponsible and un-intelligent in general (I hate to make generalizations, but it appears to mostly be people in my age group (20's to early 30's)).. For sure there are those who are irresponsible, but it should be known that plenty (such as the folks here) of us are very savvy.

It's too bad high schools don't teach kids about this stuff. Finance education should be required IMO.

Funny how schools shy away from certain things. Finances are, in IMHO as well, a necessity that schools avoid. I also believe rather than fleeing from religion, schools should teach an objective blanket religion course about various world religions so people know what to expect out in real life. Ah well XD

Current: EQ FICO 0, TU FICO 0, EX FICO 0 | Starting Score: 0 (08/21/2013)

Starting total revolving credit: $0 | Current total revolving credit: $1600.00

Inquiries (12 Months): EQ 3-4 TU Unsure EX Unsure | Most Recent: 8/19/2013

2013 Goals:
1,000.00 Emergency Fund
1,000.00 Emergency Fund, AGAIN
Mechanically Sound Car
Unsecured Card

Fifth Third $300
U.S. Bank Harley Davidson $300
Capital One Platinum $500
2nd Capital One Platinum $500

Message 14 of 37
ForMyBiz
Frequent Contributor

@Startome wrote:

@Surlaw wrote:

@p- wrote:

Funny how schools shy away from certain things. Finances are, in IMHO as well, a necessity that schools avoid. I also believe rather than fleeing from religion, schools should teach an objective blanket religion course about various world religions so people know what to expect out in real life. Ah well XD

+1 for that, although telling a bunch of wound up high school kids to be responsible is like practically daring them to max out their first credit card.  I'm not sure what approach would work really.  That said, if you don't have anyone in your home to teach you how to use credit responsibly a lot of people (i.e. me) have to learn the hard way I suppose. 

Message 15 of 37
Surlaw

@myjourney wrote:

@Surlaw wrote:

Have a look at the comments. Lots of people patting themselves on the back for being such smart, dedicated cash users. 

"I use cash all the time, this will never happen to me"

"But if someone steals your cash, you can never get it back. With CCs  you can dispute fraudulent charges. You don't have to pay them."

"You people are dumb and irresponsible for using credit cards."

Can't tell them anything.

Surlaw I'll remind you that this is a friendly and supportive forum

Your comments are neither of this and I will have them edited 

Please honor the TOS in the future 

Thank you MJ

? I'll have to think on this. Perhaps I should have been clearer about what I was saying?

I'm sorry if I came across ugly. I was referring to the disparaging comments in the article, where respondents were knocking those individuals who do use credit, and acknowledge no other right way to manage finances aside from their own.

Message 16 of 37
myjourney
Super Contributor

@Surlaw wrote:

@p- wrote:

Not true 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 17 of 37
Involver
Valued Contributor

I think he was simply relating his own personal experience on how people he associates with view those who use credit.  I don't think it was disparaging or negative.  Just my .02.

Message 18 of 37
Surlaw

@ForMyBiz wrote:

That said, if you don't have anyone in your home to teach you how to use credit responsibly a lot of people (i.e. me) have to learn the hard way I suppose. 

Fortunately, when I went to open my first checking acct at Wells Fargo, the bank offered me a student credit card. The banker proceeded to give me the quick and dirty (but very effective) on credit and the importance of maintaining a clean report, ie how my behavior now would effect my chances of getting a decent mortgage/car loan/etc in the future. I didn't have the benefit of seeing responsible use of credit/finances when I was a kid/teen. That banker helped immensely.

Message 19 of 37
myjourney
Super Contributor

@Involver wrote:

I think he was simply relating his own personal experience on how people he associates with view those who use credit.  I don't think it was disparaging or negative.  Just my .02.

Exactly 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 20 of 37
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.