Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intuit cleared to acquire Credit Karma

tag
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Intuit cleared to acquire Credit Karma

Intuit's planned acquisition of Credit Karma has received regulatory approval.

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20201125005709/en/Intuit-and-Credit-Karma-Receive-Clearance-f...

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Intuit cleared to acquire Credit Karma

Ugh there goes the only free site I kinda enjoyed although just vantage was easy to keep track of HP's when accounts opened and various other aspects of credit.  Sure they will ruin it like they did to another credit site they bought although can't think of the name off the top of my head for some reason probably ass havent used it since purchase few years back

Message 2 of 17
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@CreditCuriosity wrote:

Ugh there goes the only free site I kinda enjoyed although just vantage was easy to keep track of HP's when accounts opened and various other aspects of credit.  Sure they will ruin it like they did to another credit site they bought although can't think of the name off the top of my head for some reason probably ass havent used it since purchase few years back

Me I'm not a fan of Credit Karma.

I think it spreads misinformation to the uninitiated.

It was the first credit site I visited, and so I was among the uninitiated who were misled by it.  I feel that it got my credit journey off on the wrong foot. 

If I'd joined the MyFICO forum first, and learned some of the lessons one can learn here, I would have been innoculated against the misinformation quotient of CK. But I didn't.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 3 of 17
cashorcharge
Community Leader
Super Contributor

I would agree that providing me VS scores are useless as I get FICO scores elsewhere.  I did like the "account aging" page as that was helpful to see everything and the INQ page was also useful.  

Agreed most of their "credit advice" leaves little to be desired so for the uninformed, it could certainly lead to mistakes.

Thanks for sharing the article @SouthJamaica 

Message 4 of 17
SOGGIE
Valued Contributor

Now the question is, will Intuit have your finance info and consumer credit info when you file your income tax return using Intuit QuickBooks? I'm only comfortable with that if I am applying for credit, not for credit monitoring.

Life was a lot simpler when what we honored was father and mother, rather than all major credit cards. ~Robert Orben
Message 5 of 17
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

I'm only potentially comfortable with that if they publicly outline what data it is they will collect and retain, how long they would retain it, the acceptable uses of the data, how they are going to ensure that the data collected is only used for the acceptable uses, the 3rd parties that are going to ensure compliance with ensuring that the data collected is only used for the acceptable uses, how frequently the 3rd parties are going to ensure compliance, and the penalties for non-compliance.

Potentially comfortable.  Still probably not.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 6 of 17
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

I value CK for the easy weekly tracking of changes to my TU and EQ reports, with a decently clean layout.  I hope that this doesn't mean that they'll end up merged with Mint, though (that's the other credit monitoring and spend tracking site Intuit bought).

Since they already had Quickbooks, TurboTax, and Mint, my assumption is that Intuit may end up combining all of the products down the road as a complete all-in-one financial solution.

Message 7 of 17
blindambition
Senior Contributor

I'm a beta user for CK, since this was announced months ago each release seems to ask you to share more. I never do, but as stated above, I certainly can see Intuit capitalize on your shared data and suite of products.

I was never comfortable with Mint, so never used. Same with Quick Books.

Message 8 of 17
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

Aways back some years ago before they first changed the format to how it looks today, it was the best online site for me i ever experienced. Given they used Real Time pie chart graphs that instantly populated along with percentages and a feature where another section unrolled your current cards & balances in a concise user-friendly format that actually contributed to the success that i had with obtaining good accounts and keeping a nice steady progress. Some of you may remember when CK used that format. At the time i didnt think they made better use of calculations anywhere in the world except the Lenders finance programs.

I since have resorted using a XLS spreadsheet locally to do all the great math that CK used to use. Now i just use CK to see when some alert pings in. Its not what it use to be for me when they removed the pie charts and percentages it killed the greatness it had IMO.

Message 9 of 17
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

I still use Quicken '2004 Premier' disc version because you can block it's online access. I've been using Intuit's TurboTax online for taxes for several years and CK for even longer. I'll keep CK but switch to another tax service, Intuit having both my credit and tax data is too Big Brother for me, you just know they'll combine that data and use it target you for offerings & ads.

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.