Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is It Safe To Bank On Public Wi-Fi?

tag
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

Is It Safe To Bank On Public Wi-Fi?

I was wondering how this article ties in with wifi access to myFICO.

In light of this, if you go to http://ficoforums.myfico.com/ and click on Register, is that a way to create a forums login that is entirely separate from your myFICO score report login? I am concerned that as a default a login is used for both.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
marty56
Super Contributor

Re: Is It Safe To Bank On Public Wi-Fi?

I would not do it unless they use wireless encryption.  I would also not use a public computer like in a library or school either. 

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 2 of 5
oogy
Contributor

Having spent a few years in a call center doing tech support in a former life, I would never recommend you use public wifi for anything you're be concerned about being stolen.  It's ridiculous how easy it is to "hack" a wifi (even one that is "secured") if you know what you're doing.  9 times out of 10, you're alright because no one else in that library or coffee shop with you has any malicious intentions - but that one time when you happen to be in the wrong wifi hotspot at the wrong time is all it takes to make a big mess.

Starting over from scratch again February 28, 2023.
I have not used a single credit account since circumstances decimated my credit in '19&'20 and now have no open accounts on my report.
Message 3 of 5
awal
Regular Contributor

I'm not sure if I would consider this hacking a wifi network. I think this can better be described as spoofing a web page. This kind of thing could be done on a wired or wireless network. It basically comes down to don't connect to a network (wired or wifi) you don't trust even if it is encrypted.
Starting Scores: 
Current Scores:  
Message 4 of 5
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

It is if you use a VPN (virtual private network), which creates a private, secure tunnel for your transmissions.

You can do this using a VPN service (for a fee), or you can create one on your own, linking to your own PC at home or elsewhere. 

If you are on the road a lot and need banking access, this is could work well for you.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.