cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it time to give up your travel loyalty programs? The case for keeping or cutting up your cards

tag
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Re: Is it time to give up your travel loyalty programs? The case for keeping or cutting up your card

@iced wrote:

@K-in-Boston wrote:

As I was reading that last part, all I could think of is Alaska.  No lounge access for upgraded F passengers and no preordered special meals at all (although a vegetarian meal is always offered at least).  When I flew a cheap award transcon to LA last year I was amused that I had lounge access at JFK but the 75K Gold behind me with an upgrade couldn't get in.  Although to be fair, many elites of other airlines (including my beloved Delta) have no access on domestic flights without a pricy membership or credit card.

I haven't flown Alaska in almost a decade, so I can't speak for them, but I've seen similar snubbings on status upgrades. However, they were almost always battlefield/day-of upgrades. If they cleared at T-72 or T-96 the system usually caught up and treated them just like paid F fliers. 

Yeah, Alaska's written lounge policy is that both paid and award F passengers have access, but those receiving upgrades do not no matter what the clearing date was.

Message 11 of 14
iced
Valued Contributor

Re: Is it time to give up your travel loyalty programs? The case for keeping or cutting up your card

@K-in-Boston wrote:

Yeah, Alaska's written lounge policy is that both paid and award F passengers have access, but those receiving upgrades do not no matter what the clearing date was.

I'll go ahead and assume there's already a 50-page thread on FT full of Alaska elites grumbling about this.

Message 12 of 14
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@iced wrote:

@K-in-Boston wrote:

I'll go ahead and assume there's already a 50-page thread on FT full of Alaska elites grumbling about this.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/1965932-lounge-access-policies.html

Passengers upgraded to First Class, (booked in U class of service) whether complimentary, paid, or using miles do not have complimentary access to the Alaska Lounge.

Surprisingly only a one-pager!

Message 13 of 14
edwardw818

Never even had one in the first place... But I do have enough Expedia points to earn 2 nights at a 5-star hotel or 3-5 nights at a motel.

Starting (May 2016):
Dec 2022: (Boosted)
Goal: 750 or better FICO across the board, buying a house with lowest possible interest... Maybe AmEx Centurion? J/K

Current (in order of limit):

Former:
Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.