cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

JPMorgan just revealed it thinks a lot of people won’t pay their credit card bills

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: JPMorgan just revealed it thinks a lot of people won’t pay their credit card bills

@Revelate wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

!@#%^*& brogrammers. lol Yep...exactly the type that I worked around. One even bought a sailboat to be out on the Charles on 4th of July. He said that was his 'beemer', and bought a new Civic for a car.

I was working with COBOL/JCL/TSO/ISPF/CICS and a bunch of other acronyms brogrammers are afraid of, and I always let them believe they made more than me. They didn't think of trying to borrow money from me.

And Boston on $1500, all-in? You're a pro! I lived in Brookline, without a car, and always took the C line to South Station for work. I can't even imagine $1500. haha

You can't be that old, and if you picked that specifically I'm even more impressed than I was already.  That was fading when I got into the industry at Dell, and as more and more people up and retired demand for those skillsets have just kept increasing.  I have been working outside of big enterprise for a while, and now I'm going to have to be part of a mainframe migration, not to something cheaper or more modern, but to a new datacenter.  They still exist, people that can maintain and improve code on those languages almost assuredly have higher bill rates than I do.  Hell, probably double even and I'm not talking what I make, I mean what the big giant company sells my time for on some projects.

This was in the 21st century! lol It never went away.

Take a look: https://www.glassdoor.com/Job/mainframe-programmer-cobol-cics-jcl-jobs-SRCH_KO0,35.htm

CICS and MVS JCL on IBM z/OS will be around after the heat death of the universe.

Message 11 of 13
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: JPMorgan just revealed it thinks a lot of people won’t pay their credit card bills

@Anonymous wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

!@#%^*& brogrammers. lol Yep...exactly the type that I worked around. One even bought a sailboat to be out on the Charles on 4th of July. He said that was his 'beemer', and bought a new Civic for a car.

I was working with COBOL/JCL/TSO/ISPF/CICS and a bunch of other acronyms brogrammers are afraid of, and I always let them believe they made more than me. They didn't think of trying to borrow money from me.

And Boston on $1500, all-in? You're a pro! I lived in Brookline, without a car, and always took the C line to South Station for work. I can't even imagine $1500. haha

You can't be that old, and if you picked that specifically I'm even more impressed than I was already.  That was fading when I got into the industry at Dell, and as more and more people up and retired demand for those skillsets have just kept increasing.  I have been working outside of big enterprise for a while, and now I'm going to have to be part of a mainframe migration, not to something cheaper or more modern, but to a new datacenter.  They still exist, people that can maintain and improve code on those languages almost assuredly have higher bill rates than I do.  Hell, probably double even and I'm not talking what I make, I mean what the big giant company sells my time for on some projects.

This was in the 21st century! lol It never went away.

Take a look: https://www.glassdoor.com/Job/mainframe-programmer-cobol-cics-jcl-jobs-SRCH_KO0,35.htm

CICS and MVS JCL on IBM z/OS will be around after the heat death of the universe.

Not my point Cassie Smiley Happy.  I mean the fact that I haven't met anyone in that space that's younger than I am.

Those salary rates seem really low though, COBOL programmers were making bank in Y2K and it has to be an even more rarified skillset now.

        
Message 12 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Revelate wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Not my point Cassie Smiley Happy.  I mean the fact that I haven't met anyone in that space that's younger than I am.

Well, get ready, because Gen Z is looking for some serious job security, and IBM is actively encouraging it. It looks like they're biting on the forums.

IBM and Open Mainframe Project Mobilize to Connect States with COBOL Skills and https://github.com/openmainframeproject

The salaries are more in line with this: https://www.ziprecruiter.com/Salaries/Mainframe-Programmer-Salary

I'm definitely not an expert in the mainframe world. I wrote an awful lot of code in COBOL DATA DIVISION sections that I can barely remember now. I'm not getting back into that game, though. Although it's tempting sometimes. I mean, one could work remotely from home for various government agencies until death, probably.

Message 13 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.