Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Liz Pulliam Weston: Thaw Out Your Frozen Credit

tag
MattH
Senior Contributor

Liz Pulliam Weston: Thaw Out Your Frozen Credit

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/Banking/HomeFinancing/thaw-out-your-frozen-credit.aspx?page=1

TU 791 02/11/2013, EQ 800 1/29/2011 , EX Plus FAKO 812, EX Vantage Score 955 3/19/2010 wife's EQ 9/23/2009 803
EX always was my highest when we could pull all three
Always remember: big print giveth, small print taketh away
If you dunno what tanstaafl means you must Google it
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: Liz Pulliam Weston: Thaw Out Your Frozen Credit

Good article! And finally, a list of tactics. I'm not sure that they work, as we've had members here try some, but at least it's something. And especially for HELOC's. I had never thought about that, just borrowing it all and sticking it somewhere, so they can't drop your CL.

Here's a hyperlink for the article:

Thaw out your frozen credit

Instead of targeting delinquent consumers as they have in the past, lenders are now taking action against huge groups of borrowers -- raising rates or lowering limits on credit card customers who pay on time but carry large balances, for example, or freezing home equity lines for every homeowner in certain troubled real-estate markets.

"Banks are counting on consumers just accepting this," said credit expert Ben Woolsey, the director of marketing and consumer research for CreditCards.com. "Just like the stock market is going down and costs are going up, they're hoping consumers will just swallow this as a fact of life."
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Liz Pulliam Weston: Thaw Out Your Frozen Credit

Great article, Matt. Thanks for posting. 

I'm a big fan of Liz's column. She's known for always

giving very sound and level-headed advice to her readers.

And she's right about the combined loan to value (CLTV)

of 80% or better. Navy Fed sent me their latest HELOC offer

in the mail a couple of weeks ago. Their rates are as low as prime plus .50%

(now 3.75%) for max CLTV of 70%, and prime plus 1% (now 4.25%) for

max CLTV's of 80%. If you elect to go with a fixed rate home equity

loan, they'll let you borrow up to 90% CLTV, but the rate is much

higher (8.150%) . 

So like I said, she's right on the money. And thanks again for posting!

CanDo

"The right attitude is everything" 

Message Edited by CanDoAttitude on 12-20-2008 04:45 PM
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.