Did you mean: 

Make sure you pay your Apple Card if you buy Apple products

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Make sure you pay your Apple Card if you buy Apple products

@MasonK wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

It's not Goldman Sachs' policy, it's Apple's. It isn't a new policy either. Check this post from 2018. 

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8537360

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203005

Clearly he spun this story to get attention while taking no personal responsibility for his lack of returning the product as agreed (and if the email bounced, he should have made a call), not updating his autopay information, not making a manual payment when he was notified his payment failed (presumably ignoring Wallet notifications and emails along the way), etc., but regardless this is how Apple does do things when you owe them money. 

Good info!

But just to clarify my position further, if you owe money on the Apple Card in general and it goes delinquent, this WILL NOT result in an apple ID shutdown. I think this is an important distinction that has gotten a little muddy in this article. The Apple Discussion posts are from 2018 and reference owing Apple specifically for services, and not Goldman for general purchases. I think there may have been some blurred lines there.

Yes the problem is that the money owed is due to Apple in this instance, not Goldman Sachs. Apple normally requires you to return a product and get a refund for a trade in but when using the Apple Card for installments, they credit you the trade in value immediately and bill the difference back if you don't return the product. Since the card was frozen due to the autopay bouncing, Apple was unable to charge the difference back and they shut down the Apple ID in response. 

Message 11 of 16
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@MasonK wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

It's not Goldman Sachs' policy, it's Apple's. It isn't a new policy either. Check this post from 2018. 

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8537360

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203005

Clearly he spun this story to get attention while taking no personal responsibility for his lack of returning the product as agreed (and if the email bounced, he should have made a call), not updating his autopay information, not making a manual payment when he was notified his payment failed (presumably ignoring Wallet notifications and emails along the way), etc., but regardless this is how Apple does do things when you owe them money. 

Good info!

But just to clarify my position further, if you owe money on the Apple Card in general and it goes delinquent, this WILL NOT result in an apple ID shutdown. I think this is an important distinction that has gotten a little muddy in this article. The Apple Discussion posts are from 2018 and reference owing Apple specifically for services, and not Goldman for general purchases. I think there may have been some blurred lines there.

That's a very important distinction, as this would have occurred no matter what payment method was attached to the purchase.  But it is important to remember that you don't want to do anything to jeapordize your Apple ID if you have that card.  It would be similar to having an Amex Delta credit card and having your SkyMiles account closed, although in that case you would at least still have access to the credit account.

Message 12 of 16
Save-n-Invest
Established Contributor

Apple is acting like a buy here pay here car lot. Apple compared to Amex.  Time to unload the stock.

Locking the Apple ID is inexcusable IMNSHO. Apple could notify the creditor in other ways. This is overkill. Using USPS and expecting a timely return of anything is outrageous. USPS issues are well known and documented. 

As to autopay, I never used it for anything. Hopefully none of the car boys and gals from the auto loan subforum are reading this. I've been taken to task several times for buying cars alone. The chastizing is usually that I am stupid.  Should take the dealer financing. Put my funds in a high yield savings account [insert your own joke here] then set up autopay and rely on that for 72 months.  He he

I do it the dumb way. I pay for the car at the point of sale. Silly me. Smiley Happy

Message 13 of 16
cashorcharge
Community Leader
Super Contributor

The plot continues....

Apple States: 

"We apologize for any confusion or inconvenience we may have caused for this customer. The issue in question involved a restriction on the customer's ‌Apple ID‌ that disabled App Store and iTunes purchases and subscription services, excluding iCloud. Apple provided an instant credit for the purchase of a new MacBook Pro, and as part of that agreement, the customer was to return their current unit to us. No matter what payment method was used, the ability to transact on the associated ‌Apple ID‌ was disabled because Apple could not collect funds. This is entirely unrelated to ‌Apple Card‌."

https://www.macrumors.com/2021/03/03/apple-missed-apple-card-payments-apple-id/

Message 14 of 16
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@cashorcharge wrote:

The plot continues....

Apple States: 

"We apologize for any confusion or inconvenience we may have caused for this customer. The issue in question involved a restriction on the customer's ‌Apple ID‌ that disabled App Store and iTunes purchases and subscription services, excluding iCloud. Apple provided an instant credit for the purchase of a new MacBook Pro, and as part of that agreement, the customer was to return their current unit to us. No matter what payment method was used, the ability to transact on the associated ‌Apple ID‌ was disabled because Apple could not collect funds. This is entirely unrelated to ‌Apple Card‌."

https://www.macrumors.com/2021/03/03/apple-missed-apple-card-payments-apple-id/

While the details will show that the issue isn't linked to the apple card, it still shows apple basically blackmailing the user using their appleid. This is still a problem to me. They should be making the new item unusable rather than crippling every device attached to the appleid. Those other items are paid for. 

Message 15 of 16
MasonK
Frequent Contributor

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

While the details will show that the issue isn't linked to the apple card, it still shows apple basically blackmailing the user using their appleid. This is still a problem to me. They should be making the new item unusable rather than crippling every device attached to the appleid. Those other items are paid for. 

If don't pay my Netflix bill, my Netflix ID stops working, too. This isn't about making him not paying for his new Macbook, this is about not paying for the services that Apple disabled.

ETA- OK, I am not totally correct about about just the services, this is also about the trade in. However, the TOS are clear about trade ins that don't go properly and this guy did literally everything wrong at every step to ensure that Apple took action against him.

1/1/16 FICO8 Scores: EX: 407, EQ: 403, TU: 455
4/1/24 FICO8 Scores: EX: 832, EQ: 820, TU: 834
FICO9 EX: 818
Total Revolving Limits: $152,300

Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.