(But he only uses one of them and PIF)
And you thought some on here had a lot of cards. Smiley Happy

http://time.com/money/4166577/guinness-record-credit-card-holder/
Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Man Has 1,500 Credit Cards and a Near Perfect Score

Too bad we don't have more detailed data directly from this guy.  It would be interesting to know what his three FICO 8 scores are and his AAoA, AoYA, and AoOA, and his inquiry level.  The journalist says the guy's scores are "nearly perfect" but those might not be FICO 8 and "nearly" might be 800 rather than (say) 848.  If we knew that the scores were actually 848, that would answer how big a penalty FICO 8 gives you for having too many cards.  There is a FICO negative reason statement for that and a few people here (e.g. Revelate) have received it.

The journalist writes:

"He also says that all of his credit cards have different spending limits, the lowest of which caps at $50."

Unsure what the phrase "caps at" means in this context.  I think it means "is" -- i.e. his lowest credit limit is $50.  That's interesting as well -- I haven't heard of a CC with a limit of $50.  The lowest CL I have heard of is $200.

Message 2 of 18
rbentley
Established Contributor

Yes, the article raises a lot of questions for us.  Does he have any Chase Cards (1500/24 rule?...lol).  Over what time period did he do this?  What is his AAoA.    It is hard to beleive that it can be more than a few years.  How long has he had them?  Clearly he is not using 99% of them.  Have any been shut down for non-use.

Message 3 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Great observations.  My guess is that, when the journalist writes....

Cavanagh says... that he only uses one card that he pays off every month.

... he's misunderstood what the guy actually does.  He probably only lets one card report a positive balance, but likely makes a small purchase every 12 months on every card to keep it open.

Otherwise the guy would hit a wall with 100+ cards falling off his report every year, and since he was obsessed with winning the world record I am pretty sure he would have taken every step to prevent that.

It does illustrate, however, what is common when journalists cover a story about credit, which is there are often very implausible claims made in the piece because they don't know enough about credit to evaluate when they are saying something dubious.

Message 4 of 18
rbentley
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

... he's misunderstood what the guy actually does.  He probably only lets one card report a positive balance, but likely makes a small purchase every 12 months on every card to keep it open.

Otherwise the guy would hit a wall with 100+ cards falling off his report every year, and since he was obsessed with winning the world record I am pretty sure he would have taken every step to prevent that.

It does illustrate, however, what is common when journalists cover a story about credit, which is there are often very implausible claims made in the piece because they don't know enough about credit to evaluate when they are saying something dubious.

This would mean he is making a charge on 125 different cards each month to get a charge on each of them once a year.  Certainly possible, but that is a lot of swipes.  He has to be the poster child for auto pay.  I would love to know more about this guy and how he does this.

Message 5 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

If he is willing to do a lot of shopping at Amazon, he could register all his major cards (VISA, MC, Amex, or Discover) with Amazon and put $2.01 on each once a year.  Adding $2 to 100 cards would take maybe forty minutes. 

The retail cards (non-major) would be more problematic.  Maybe somebody here can think of some (relatively) painless ways to put spend on them while wasting little time and no money.  (The Amazon trick involves no waste of money if you think you have 2-3k worth of stuff a year you'd want to buy there.)  Retail cards don't need as frequent spend as do major cards to avoid closure due to inactivity.  Many people have reported a retail card going well over 25 months with no threat of closure.

And we don't know for sure whether the number of cards in this article were all open cards.  We are led to assume that they are, but maybe that number included closed ones.

Message 6 of 18
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

If the article is accurate, which I doubt, the average credit limit is only $1135.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 701 TU 704 EX 685

Message 7 of 18
iv
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

You give him, the press, and Guinness far too much ....credit. Smiley Tongue

This story comes up every few years - and the relevant quote is still:

"If the cards aren't valid anymore, Cavanagh doesn't count them in his total collection. He assumes they are valid until he's told otherwise."

He may have applied for and received ~1500 cards since the late 60s, but it's safe to say that many (most?) of the cards are not actually active anymore, and the random small retailers haven't bothered to "tell him otherwise".

The record isn't about the length of his credit report, Guinness isn't checking that the tradelines are actually active. Just his wallet length. (Literally - he also has the record for "World's Longest Wallet".)

Hoarder? Yes.

AZEO follower rotating 100+ cards a month and doing PTZ before statement cut? Nope.

EQ8:850 TU8:850 EX8:850
EQ9:847 TU9:847 EX9:839
EQ5:797 TU4:807 EX2:813 - 2021-06-06
Message 8 of 18
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@iv wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

You give him, the press, and Guinness far too much ....credit. Smiley Tongue

This story comes up every few years - and the relevant quote is still:

"If the cards aren't valid anymore, Cavanagh doesn't count them in his total collection. He assumes they are valid until he's told otherwise."

He may have applied for and received ~1500 cards since the late 60s, but it's safe to say that many (most?) of the cards are not actually active anymore, and the random small retailers haven't bothered to "tell him otherwise".

The record isn't about the length of his credit report, Guinness isn't checking that the tradelines are actually active. Just his wallet length. (Literally - he also has the record for "World's Longest Wallet".)

Hoarder? Yes.

AZEO follower rotating 100+ cards a month and doing PTZ before statement cut? Nope.

Agreed.

I personally think the article is baloney. 

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 701 TU 704 EX 685

Message 9 of 18
mitchblue
Valued Contributor

He's going to need a bigger wallet.

FICO® 8 Scores 821 FICO® 9 Equifax 826 (Updated 02-7-23)
Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.