Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Many Americans Are Overpaying for Their Car Loans - Consumer Reports

tag
ntx
Regular Contributor

Many Americans Are Overpaying for Their Car Loans - Consumer Reports

https://www.consumerreports.org/car-financing/many-americans-overpay-for-car-loans-a8076436935/

Long article but very interesting. I guess the games lenders can play shouldn't be a surprise. Makes me happy my last auto loan was @2.69% from NFCU.  Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
TIPPY-BOB
Regular Contributor

Re: Many Americans Are Overpaying for Their Car Loans - Consumer Reports

Thanks for sharing 👏👍😊

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

For me it loan was @3% 

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ntx If you don't mind me asking what was your credit score when you got the 2.69% from NFCU? I'm looking to refinance. 

Message 4 of 6
ntx
Regular Contributor

Hi @Anonymous ,

I don't remember my scores exactly, but TU9 & EX9 were in the 680-690 range, EQ9 was around 650-660. 

It was a new Corolla 100% loan Feb. 2021, ~$23K, 60 months. ( NFCU pre-approval was $25K. ) I had actually financed a different vehicle with them in Sept. 2020 @2.29%, ~$28K loan with $32.5K preappoval, roughly same scores. Vehicle didn't work out for me and luckily I was able to sell it to Carvana for a ridiculously high price ( like those we're seeing now ) before I bought the Corolla. Cost me about $400 / month to drive it for 4-5 months and I was good with that. 

Good luck on your refinance Smiley Happy

NTX

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

When I bought my new 2022 BMW a few months back the dealer tried to rip me off on the interest rate.

I came on here and posted what was going on. There where several replies telling me based on my DP the dealer should be giving me 0.9% on the car. They found some sort of special financing that I was not aware of and the dealer sure was not going to tell me. So with the advice from my post on here I went back to the dealer and got the 0.9%. If not for my post on here I would be paying 2.9%.

Thank you FICO people

Mark

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.