Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MasterCard will stop merchant from billing you once a free trial is over

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

MasterCard will stop merchant from billing you once a free trial is over

It’s about time something like this happens. MasterCard will prevent automatic billing when free trials end and require companies to send you messages for approval for ongoing transactions.

https://www.theverge.com/platform/amp/2019/1/16/18185468/mastercard-free-trials-stop-automatic-billi...
Message 2 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Mastercard will stop free trials from automatically billing you once they’re over

Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Mastercard will stop free trials from automatically billing you once they’re over

Forgetting to cancel my Amazon Prime trial is how I ended up becoming a paid subscriber, so this is good news. Of course, it also helped that free two day shipping is a pretty good perk. Cat Tongue

Message 3 of 6
OmarR
Established Contributor

Re: Mastercard will stop free trials from automatically billing you once they’re over

The article has been updated to show that it only counts towards physical products, like vitamins.

EQ=850   EX=845   TU=843       0/24       UTIL=$1    AZEO

Message 4 of 6
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: MasterCard will stop merchant from billing you once a free trial is over

This is great news. I sure hope VISA follows.

Thanks for sharing OP

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@OmarR wrote:

The article has been updated to show that it only counts towards physical products, like vitamins.

Still a good change, even if it’s not as broad. I’m sure there are many people who forget about things like their Amazon subscribe and save items. 

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.