cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MasterCard will stop merchant from billing you once a free trial is over

Auto Loans for ANY Credit Situation. Immediate Response.
Advertiser disclosure
Super Contributor

MasterCard will stop merchant from billing you once a free trial is over

It’s about time something like this happens. MasterCard will prevent automatic billing when free trials end and require companies to send you messages for approval for ongoing transactions.

https://www.theverge.com/platform/amp/2019/1/16/18185468/mastercard-free-trials-stop-automatic-billi...

01/2019:
10/2019:

Hover over my cards to see my limits!
Goal cards: Cash+, Freedom.
Message 2 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Frequent Contributor

Mastercard will stop free trials from automatically billing you once they’re over

Message 1 of 6
Established Contributor

Re: Mastercard will stop free trials from automatically billing you once they’re over

Forgetting to cancel my Amazon Prime trial is how I ended up becoming a paid subscriber, so this is good news. Of course, it also helped that free two day shipping is a pretty good perk. Cat Tongue

Message 3 of 6
Frequent Contributor

Re: Mastercard will stop free trials from automatically billing you once they’re over

The article has been updated to show that it only counts towards physical products, like vitamins.

EQ=846        TU=834        EX=822      INQ=0/0/2      UTIL=1%        AZEO
Message 4 of 6
Community Leader
Senior Contributor

Re: MasterCard will stop merchant from billing you once a free trial is over

This is great news. I sure hope VISA follows.

Thanks for sharing OP

GOALS: Garden til APR 2020 and 800 Club

SEP 2019: EX 791, TU 797, EQ 800
JUN 2019: EX 788, TU 794, EQ 779
DEC 2018: EX 777, TU 783, EQ 799

|| AmX Cash Magnet $25K || NFCU CashRewards $20K || Macy's $20K || Discover IT $18.7K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $12.5K || AmX ED $11.5K || CitiCostco $7K || CitiDC $6.3K ||
Message 5 of 6
Super Contributor

@OmarR wrote:

The article has been updated to show that it only counts towards physical products, like vitamins.

Still a good change, even if it’s not as broad. I’m sure there are many people who forget about things like their Amazon subscribe and save items. 

01/2019:
10/2019:

Hover over my cards to see my limits!
Goal cards: Cash+, Freedom.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.