Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mastercard to end magnetic strip on cards

tag
Taurus22
Valued Contributor

Mastercard to end magnetic strip on cards

Interesting article.....seems to make sense with the arrival of contactless card technology.

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-58206591

My Wallet
Sock Drawered

On Deck: No Plans Currently
Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22
Horseshoez
Senior Contributor

Re: Mastercard to end magnetic strip on cards

@Taurus22 wrote:

Interesting article.....seems to make sense with the arrival of contactless card technology.

Hmmm, that is a bit concerning.  Why?  I live in a semi-rural area and there are LOTS of places where I currently shop which do not (yet) have contactless scanners.  I'm thinking my favorite Indian and Thai restaurants for starters.  Smiley Sad

I categorically refuse to do AZEO!
Message 2 of 23
Taurus22
Valued Contributor

@Horseshoez wrote:

@Taurus22 wrote:

Hmmm, that is a bit concerning.  Why?  I live in a semi-rural area and there are LOTS of places where I currently shop which do not (yet) have contactless scanners.  I'm thinking my favorite Indian and Thai restaurants for starters.  Smiley Sad

Well there is still chip technology, I was just noting how contactless has been taking off since CV19 hit. I would think the chip itself makes the strip obsolete already. But I would be willing to bet there is going to be a larger push for contactless over the next 10 years.

My Wallet
Sock Drawered

Message 3 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Taurus22 wrote:

"Heard your mother calling"!

GADS ... in the out back some merchants just upgraded from "knuckle busters" ...

Anymore good news!

My hardware store just upgraded from the slot to chip and pin!

Message 4 of 23
Taurus22
Valued Contributor

Lol!  Smiley Very Happy  Smiley LOL

My Wallet
Sock Drawered

Message 5 of 23
Taurus22
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous   I remember when I was a kid, a couple of places still used the old credit card readers that imprinted the embossed credit card numbers on a carbon ink plate. We've come a long way!

My Wallet
Sock Drawered

Message 6 of 23
Horseshoez
Senior Contributor

@Taurus22 wrote:

@Horseshoez wrote:

@Taurus22 wrote:

Well there is still chip technology, I was just noting how contactless has been taking off since CV19 hit. I would think the chip itself makes the strip obsolete already. But I would be willing to bet there is going to be a larger push for contactless over the next 10 years.

Yeah, we have a number of vendors around here, the two restaurants I mentioned as examples, where swiping the mag-strip is still the only way to use a card to pay for a meal.  Fortunately for me at least, my card which gives the best rewards for dining is a Siguature Visa with a strip.  Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 23
calyx
Super Contributor

@Taurus22 wrote:

@Anonymous   I remember when I was a kid, a couple of places still used the old credit card readers that imprinted the embossed credit card numbers on a carbon ink plate. We've come a long way!

As someone who actually USED the knucklebusters at work back in the day... thanks for making me feel old Smiley LOL

Happy practitioner of AZE7or8or9or10 | Team Finances > FICO
Message 8 of 23
Horseshoez
Senior Contributor

@calyx wrote:

@Taurus22 wrote:

As someone who actually USED the knucklebusters at work back in the day... thanks for making me feel old Smiley LOL

LOL, you and me both my friend.  Smiley Tongue

Message 9 of 23
unsungivy
Established Contributor

Lowe's and Home Depot here don't have contactless pay yet. Maybe this will push them along.

SD - Biz -
Message 10 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.