Did you mean: 

Mastercard to end magnetic strip on cards

tag
calyx
Super Contributor

Re: Mastercard to end magnetic strip on cards

@ChargedUp wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Chip reader malfunctions are way too common. Contactless is the only way.

When contactless was first rolling out, I had a few issues getting certain cards to work at certain merchants. 

Discover taps would consistently lead to an error inside my nearest gas station at either of the 2 terminals. Neighborhood Market was very finicky when tapping either Amex Gold or CFU. There were other instances with BoA, Chase and others at that time, but near as I can tell they seem to be mostly resolved. OTOH, I rarely have had a chip issue.

I still have issues with Disco taps.
And then one of the machines where I work doesn't like my SDFCU.

Friends might make fun of me for having a bunch of cards, but sometimes it comes in handy (as does using my Samsung phone).

Happy practitioner of AZE7or8or9or10 | Team Finances > FICO
Message 21 of 23
ChargedUp
Senior Contributor

@calyx wrote:

@ChargedUp wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Chip reader malfunctions are way too common. Contactless is the only way.

When contactless was first rolling out, I had a few issues getting certain cards to work at certain merchants. 

Discover taps would consistently lead to an error inside my nearest gas station at either of the 2 terminals. Neighborhood Market was very finicky when tapping either Amex Gold or CFU. There were other instances with BoA, Chase and others at that time, but near as I can tell they seem to be mostly resolved. OTOH, I rarely have had a chip issue.

I still have issues with Disco taps.
And then one of the machines where I work doesn't like my SDFCU.

Friends might make fun of me for having a bunch of cards, but sometimes it comes in handy (as does using my Samsung phone).

Mostly I get WOW! looks when i open my wallet lol... next is "What do you do with all those cards??"

Well duh!, I earn money! 😁😏

Message 22 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Unfortunately three are a few holdouts locally that don't offer tap and pay, so it's either slide the chip in or swipe the card if that doesn't work. 

That said, I do tend to use tap and pay the most if it's offered. 

Message 23 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.