Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mastercard to end magnetic strip on cards

tag
SoCalGardener
Valued Contributor

Re: Mastercard to end magnetic strip on cards

@Taurus22 wrote:

@Anonymous   I remember when I was a kid, a couple of places still used the old credit card readers that imprinted the embossed credit card numbers on a carbon ink plate. We've come a long way!

Ha ha ha!!!!  I was AN ADULT when those embossed card readers were in use. Smiley Surprised

And security conscious, too, even way back then: I learned that you should always request the carbons from the cashier, then destroy them. Back then, unscrupulous scumbags used the carbons to steal credit card numbers/names/dates to make fraudulent purchases.

Amazon Prime Store CardAmerican Express Blue Cash Preferred CardAmerican Express Everyday CardBank of America Customized Cash VisaCapitalOne Quicksilver MastercardCapitalOne Quicksilver VisaCapitalOne Walmart Rewards MastercardChevron Texaco CardCiti Double Cash MastercardDiscover More CardJCPenney Gold MastercardOverstock.com CardSportsmans Guide Rewards VisaSynchrony Home Card
Message 11 of 23
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

I'm guessing that this will likely be targeted first in UK / EU regions - as noted above in the US there are many businesses that haven't upgraded their payment / POS technology beyond magstripe readers, so it'll be a slow transition here.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 12 of 23
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@Taurus22 wrote:

@Horseshoez wrote:

@Taurus22 wrote:

Interesting article.....seems to make sense with the arrival of contactless card technology.

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-58206591

Hmmm, that is a bit concerning.  Why?  I live in a semi-rural area and there are LOTS of places where I currently shop which do not (yet) have contactless scanners.  I'm thinking my favorite Indian and Thai restaurants for starters.  Smiley Sad

Well there is still chip technology, I was just noting how contactless has been taking off since CV19 hit. I would think the chip itself makes the strip obsolete already. But I would be willing to bet there is going to be a larger push for contactless over the next 10 years.

They need to stop making the Chip with such cheap material! I have Chip cards that within a few months start giving an error, usually wiping it on my shirt works, but spend an extra nickle and make them out of better material! But I much prefer my cards with contactless, not only much more sanitary, but Contactless is usually much faster than Chip readers. 

Message 13 of 23
zerofire
Valued Contributor

@DaveInAZ wrote:

@Taurus22 wrote:

@Horseshoez wrote:

@Taurus22 wrote:

Interesting article.....seems to make sense with the arrival of contactless card technology.

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-58206591

Hmmm, that is a bit concerning.  Why?  I live in a semi-rural area and there are LOTS of places where I currently shop which do not (yet) have contactless scanners.  I'm thinking my favorite Indian and Thai restaurants for starters.  Smiley Sad

Well there is still chip technology, I was just noting how contactless has been taking off since CV19 hit. I would think the chip itself makes the strip obsolete already. But I would be willing to bet there is going to be a larger push for contactless over the next 10 years.

They need to stop making the Chip with such cheap material! I have Chip cards that within a few months start giving an error, usually wiping it on my shirt works, but spend an extra nickle and make them out of better material! But I much prefer my cards with contactless, not only much more sanitary, but Contactless is usually much faster than Chip readers. 

If wiping works then your problem is not the chip material but how clean you and the POS owners are keeping the card/environment. If you  do not yet have contactless then ask the issuer for it. They usually would rather issue a fresh card to make you happy. Personaly though I thought that as soon as all countries had contactless cards for 3 years it would be fair game to drop the magstripe. That single little line is the main source of fraud around the world. My biggest problems now are people that dip my card when they can tap it. Such a waste.

TU:837 09/19/23 Bank of America--EX: 841 09/20/23 Experian--EQ:832 09/21/23 myFICO--Gardening since N/A
Active:
Bank of America (Unlimited Cash Rewards WMC, Customized Cash Rewards WMC, Customized Cash Rewards VSC), Capital One Walmart WMC, Chase(Amazon Prime VSC, Freedom Flex WEMC [x2], Freedom Unlimited VC), Citi Dividend MC, Citizens GreenSense MC, Curve WEMC, Discover It C, FNBO Ducks Unlimited VSC, PenFed (Platinum Rewards VSC, Pathfinder Rewards VSC), Synchrony Bank PayPal Cashback MC, UMB Bank Simply Rewards VC[Milford Federal], US Bank (Altitude Go VSC, Cash+ VSC [x2], Pick n Save/Metro Market WEMC)
Wishlist: AAA Daily Advantage Visa, AOD Signature, Bellco Colorado Rewards, Citi Custom Cash, EBates, Nusenda Platinum Cash Rewards, Ollo Optimum, Redstone Signature, Security Service Power Travel Rewards, Vantage West Connect Rewards
Message 14 of 23
ChargedUp
Senior Contributor

There's still a handful of off brand gas stations over here still on mag strip but otherwise I think most everywhere I've shopped is at least using chip.

If it comes down to it, I just put it on AOD... 😁

Message 15 of 23
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Not good news for the merchants in my area, I would say greater than 75% of them are not chip enabled. However 2033 is a long way off.

Message 16 of 23
zerofire
Valued Contributor

@gdale6 wrote:

Not good news for the merchants in my area, I would say greater than 75% of them are not chip enabled. However 2033 is a long way off.

First cards will be 2027. Can you imagine the chaos. I personally plan to demagnatize my magstripes as soon as Mastercard is able to back me up.

TU:837 09/19/23 Bank of America--EX: 841 09/20/23 Experian--EQ:832 09/21/23 myFICO--Gardening since N/A
Active:
Bank of America (Unlimited Cash Rewards WMC, Customized Cash Rewards WMC, Customized Cash Rewards VSC), Capital One Walmart WMC, Chase(Amazon Prime VSC, Freedom Flex WEMC [x2], Freedom Unlimited VC), Citi Dividend MC, Citizens GreenSense MC, Curve WEMC, Discover It C, FNBO Ducks Unlimited VSC, PenFed (Platinum Rewards VSC, Pathfinder Rewards VSC), Synchrony Bank PayPal Cashback MC, UMB Bank Simply Rewards VC[Milford Federal], US Bank (Altitude Go VSC, Cash+ VSC [x2], Pick n Save/Metro Market WEMC)
Wishlist: AAA Daily Advantage Visa, AOD Signature, Bellco Colorado Rewards, Citi Custom Cash, EBates, Nusenda Platinum Cash Rewards, Ollo Optimum, Redstone Signature, Security Service Power Travel Rewards, Vantage West Connect Rewards
Message 17 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't know about anyone else but that chip often has issues such as "card read error" which means I have to resort to swiping that mag strip anyways. So IMO i think it would be a mistake, but apparently they don't have enough issues overall if they plan to eliminate it. 

Message 18 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chip reader malfunctions are way too common. Contactless is the only way.

Message 19 of 23
ChargedUp
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Chip reader malfunctions are way too common. Contactless is the only way.

When contactless was first rolling out, I had a few issues getting certain cards to work at certain merchants. 

Discover taps would consistently lead to an error inside my nearest gas station at either of the 2 terminals. Neighborhood Market was very finicky when tapping either Amex Gold or CFU. There were other instances with BoA, Chase and others at that time, but near as I can tell they seem to be mostly resolved. OTOH, I rarely have had a chip issue.

Message 20 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.