Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Michigan approves creation of first gay credit union

tag
Medic981
Valued Contributor

Michigan has approved a charter for the nation’s first credit union designed for gay and transgender customers.

According to Superbia Financial’s website, the credit union will be “opening its virtual doors in early 2020.”

“Superbia credit union is owned and guided by its members. An inclusive organization, anyone in support of the LGBT affirming mission is welcomed to join and become a member,” the website reads.

Your FICO credit scores are not just numbers, it’s a skill.
Message 1 of 50
49 REPLIES 49
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Michigan approves creation of first gay credit union

Given it's proposed virtual platform, I wonder what product array they'll feature and whether there will be any geo-restrictions to join? 🤔
Message 2 of 50
Anonymous
Not applicable

I truly don't understand the need for it though. Technically Banks, like "Justice" should be blind. The only relevant info is the ability to pay back the loan, not the dynamics of the couple applying. Or a persons personal matters.

Also, doesn't targeting a specific demographic in this way seem counter productive to equality as a whole? Especially when there's an Monetary incentive for said institution? IDK, comes off as a step backwards when you have make a specialized place for certain people.

When considering how many years others faught for equality just to use the same drinking fountains, buses, restrooms etc. 

In 2020 it's truly sad stuff like this has to happen, I really thought by now we'd have been more enlightened as a civilzation...

Message 3 of 50
Medic981
Valued Contributor

@FinStar wrote:
Given it's proposed virtual platform, I wonder what product array they'll feature and whether there will be any geo-restrictions to join? 🤔

I have a feeling it will be like most CUs that have community-based eligibility along with family relationship to members, company employment, organization membership or even allow a donation to an organization to be eligible to join.

Message 4 of 50
aesl1982
Regular Contributor

So do you have to prove your gay to join, that could be interesting 

Discover it miles 9/19 Sl 5000 | Care Credit 9/19 SL 3500 | Cap 1 QS 4/14 AU 500 | Cap 1 QS1 4/14 AU 600 | NFCU Secured 8/19 200 | NFCU CLOC 9/19 500 | NFCU auto 10/19 6.29 66k | NFCU Auto 4.9% 37k
Experian- 702
Equifax- 676
Transunion- 611
Util- 9%
Message 5 of 50
Medic981
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I truly don't understand the need for it though. Technically Banks, like "Justice" should be blind. The only relevant info is the ability to pay back the loan, not the dynamics of the couple applying. Or a persons personal matters.

Also, doesn't targeting a specific demographic in this way seem counter productive to equality as a whole? Especially when there's an Monetary incentive for said institution? IDK, comes off as a step backwards when you have make a specialized place for certain people.

When considering how many years others faught for equality just to use the same drinking fountains, buses, restrooms etc. 

In 2020 it's truly sad stuff like this has to happen, I really thought by now we'd have been more enlightened as a civilzation...

Meyers also said the gay community can be treated differently by lenders than straight people and traditional couples.

“I can walk into a bank or credit union and apply for a loan or credit card or savings accounts and frankly, no problem,” he said. “If I walked into the same institution with my husband, we can come across different responses and welcome. And this is where it all starts to change for the community.”

Message 6 of 50
Medic981
Valued Contributor

@aesl1982 wrote:

Obviously you did not read the article before making your comment.

“Superbia credit union is owned and guided by its members. An inclusive organization, anyone in support of the LGBT affirming mission is welcomed to join and become a member,” the website reads.

Message 7 of 50
sjt
Senior Contributor

@aesl1982 wrote:

Probably not. I think they market it towards LGBT and their allies.

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 8 of 50
Medic981
Valued Contributor

@sjt wrote:

@aesl1982 wrote:

Probably not. I think they market it towards LGBT and their allies.

Yeap! Just like NFCU or PenFed, you don't have to have been in the military to belong.

Message 9 of 50
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@Medic981 wrote:

Yeap! Just like NFCU or PenFed, you don't have to have been in the military to belong.

Yes, most likely being a member or supporter of organizations such as GLAD will qualify once they have their affiliates chosen.  Affiliate membership is a common membership opportunity for most credit unions.

Also, I'm dropping a friendly reminder that any discussion deemed political in nature is a violation of the TOS.  Let's keep this discussion on the credit union and announcement itself.

Message 10 of 50
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.