Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Michigan approves creation of first gay credit union

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Michigan approves creation of first gay credit union

I have personally never felt like I was treated any differently by any financial institution but I also don’t really give off any vibes about that part of myself. I certainly have friends that are a lot more flamboyant that I can totally imagine having problems though. 

I do not see any problem with a credit union that serves any specific population of people and this one appears to want to be open to anyone so I am all for it. I may even join. 

Message 11 of 50
JoeLuvsHisCredit
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I have personally never felt like I was treated any differently by any financial institution but I also don’t really give off any vibes about that part of myself. I certainly have friends that are a lot more flamboyant that I can totally imagine having problems though. 

I do not see any problem with a credit union that serves any specific population of people and this one appears to want to be open to anyone so I am all for it. I may even join. 

@Anonymous

+11110000000000000000000

Message 12 of 50
SEAlifer
Established Contributor

I mean, I live in a big LGBTQI*-friendly city but, yeah, if I lived in more rural or flyover state I'd like to bank somewhere where I know I'm not going to get side eye for coming in with my partner or have to watch my pronouns when talking about him. When I got added as an AU on my partner's account the banker was like "So how do you guys know each other?" and I was like "Well, we live together" and she just kind of nodded and kept on filling out the paperwork. It would have been kind of cool for them to expect us to be a couple but it's nothing compared to what I'm sure trans or more outwardly obvious LGBTQ people face every day. So yeah, this is cool!

AU

Message 13 of 50
AllZero
Mega Contributor

That's great news. The more credit unions, the merrier.

What we as myFICOers or maybe just me are really concerned about: geo-fence, big credit limits, inquiry/account sensitive, soft pull credit limit increase, high yield savings/checking, etc. 😉
Message 14 of 50
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I truly don't understand the need for it though. Technically Banks, like "Justice" should be blind. The only relevant info is the ability to pay back the loan, not the dynamics of the couple applying. Or a persons personal matters.

Also, doesn't targeting a specific demographic in this way seem counter productive to equality as a whole? Especially when there's an Monetary incentive for said institution? IDK, comes off as a step backwards when you have make a specialized place for certain people.

When considering how many years others faught for equality just to use the same drinking fountains, buses, restrooms etc. 

In 2020 it's truly sad stuff like this has to happen, I really thought by now we'd have been more enlightened as a civilzation...

Like this specialized place for certain people: Christian Community Credit Union

"We help build God’s Kingdom by partnering with individuals and ministries to help them manage their money in a God-honoring way. The money you deposit helps provide affordable loans to churches, ministries, and their members. Whether it’s constructing or remodeling a new church building or funding a home loan, your money is working in the Christian community."

Perhaps this gay credit union will work in a similar way, deposit funds working in the LGBTQ community providing affordable loans to LGBT organizations and community centers? And it provides options for how people chose to invest their banking business- as an atheist I would have zero interest in a Christian based CU, but as my brother is married to a man I am proud to call my brother in-law I will be interested in this gay oriented CU.

Message 15 of 50
Anonymous
Not applicable

Such great replies in this thread. Smiley Happy

Message 16 of 50
ChargedUp
Senior Contributor

If you're a good person, I could care less about who you choose as a life partner... But when I clicked the link fot the CU I got:

"Warning: Potential Security Risk Ahead

Firefox detected a potential security threat and did not continue to superbiafinancial.com. If you visit this site, attackers could try to steal information like your passwords, emails, or credit card details."

which doesn't inspire confidence. 🤔🤔🤔

Message 17 of 50
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@ChargedUp wrote:

If you're a good person, I could care less about who you choose as a life partner... But when I clicked the link fot the CU I got:

"Warning: Potential Security Risk Ahead

Firefox detected a potential security threat and did not continue to superbiafinancial.com. If you visit this site, attackers could try to steal information like your passwords, emails, or credit card details."

which doesn't inspire confidence. 🤔🤔🤔

It appears to be a tech glitch. 

I'm no expert, but it looks like they got a new two-year digital certificate today (9/26) that's not set up correctly.  I suspect it will be corrected quickly.

Message 18 of 50
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah, that gltich happens from time to time even on sites I have visted for years. One day it's a HAZARD, only to be fixed a couple days alter.

But it sure is annoying for those few days. lol

Message 19 of 50
Anonymous
Not applicable

The website changed. It’s https://superbiaservices.com/ now. That would explain the broken certificate.

@Medic981 can you update the first post? Smiley Happy

Message 20 of 50
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.