Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

More Americans are giving up on debit cards, new survey reports

tag
MakingProgress
Senior Contributor

More Americans are giving up on debit cards, new survey reports

Debit card use is declining in the U.S., according to new report from ValuePenguin. Since 2013, the percentage of households that use debit cards has dropped from 74 percent to 58 percent, in favor of alternative payment methods, such as credit cards and online/mobile banking. Almost a third more households pay with credit now compared to five years ago.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/personalfinance/budget-and-spending/2018/06/30/americans-drop-d...

FICO 8 Starting Score

Current Scores

Garden Goal is All Reports Clean – Achieved 11/26/20
Message 1 of 36
35 REPLIES 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: More Americans are giving up on debit cards, new survey reports

It couldn't be because of the rewards associated with CC use could it? Not to mention the security aspects.

Also, in a time when everyone seems so busy. Having all your bills paid automatically is a nice feature, and more conveintent online that mailing it.

Message 2 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

It couldn't be because of the rewards associated with CC use could it? Not to mention the security aspects.

Also, in a time when everyone seems so busy. Having all your bills paid automatically is a nice feature, and more conveintent online that mailing it.

I agree that may have a lot to do with it. I use my cc's for the rewards and the convenience of automatic bill pay. I only use my debit card if I need cash.

Message 3 of 36
Schwartzinator
Frequent Contributor

I haven’t heard of the debit card before. Which bank is that offered from? All joking aside, I haven’t used my debit card for a purchase since February of 2015. Only time it ever gets used now is when I have to make a cash deposit as some people insist on handing me paper money. I hate it.

Message 4 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'd also like to add that because credit is becoming more and more relevant and required (in some cases) in the lives of most, people are starting to do whatever it takes to improve their credit,  at least that is what I believe. Smiley Wink

Message 5 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

My question to the United States Congress is: "Why don't you place the same security on Debit Cards/Accounts that you place on Credit Cards? Let the Consumer's have secured equal choice"? As it is in the world today, forgetting rewards ... there is no doubt I do not want my banking relationships placed at risk ... too many crooks Smiley Mad

Message 6 of 36
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

Debit cards:

-- have inferior protections against fraudulent use

-- usually do not earn rewards of any kind

Why would anyone want to use a debit card for anything other than an ATM withdrawal?

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 7 of 36
arkane
Established Contributor

@UpperNwGuy wrote:

Debit cards:

-- have inferior protections against fraudulent use

-- usually do not earn rewards of any kind

-- provides direct access to your cash

Why would anyone want to use a debit card for anything other than an ATM withdrawal?

The third reason alone is enough for me to SD all my debit cards. I'm lucky that all the ATMs close to me are NFC capable so I can just use my phone. Short of an actual bank visit I never carry any debit cards on me.

Active:

Closed:

6/8/20:

Message 8 of 36
SweetCreditObsession
Valued Contributor

I believe the protection one receives when they purchase with a cc vs a debit card is also a factor.

(+102) | (+106) | (+151)
| TU Fico 9: ? | Exp Fico 9: ? | EQ Fico 9: ?| EQ Fico 8 Bankcard: TBA

Initial Goal: Min. 740 w/all CRAs - Met
Interim Goal: 780 w/all CRAs - Met
Current Goal(s): Min. 800 w/all CRAs
Gardening Until: ??/??/202?| Last App: 10/20/2023

Message 9 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have three bank accounts.  One local checking, of which I have never wrote a check with, and a checking and savings with Navy Federal.

I fund my two NFCU accounts with Big Fat Checks from my EBates account (via PayPal).  I pay my credit card bills with my direct deposit at my local bank.  I never use an ATM and never use a debit card.  Most every transaction I do is paperless.

I also won't buy something from EBay, AliExpress or most any other website with a credit card with a huge spending ability.

Some people spend their lives thinking of ways to get your money somehow.

Message 10 of 36
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.