cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

More Americans are giving up on debit cards, new survey reports

Established Contributor

More Americans are giving up on debit cards, new survey reports

Debit card use is declining in the U.S., according to new report from ValuePenguin. Since 2013, the percentage of households that use debit cards has dropped from 74 percent to 58 percent, in favor of alternative payment methods, such as credit cards and online/mobile banking. Almost a third more households pay with credit now compared to five years ago.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/personalfinance/budget-and-spending/2018/06/30/americans-drop-d...

FICO 8 Starting Score

Current Scores

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES
Frequent Contributor

Re: More Americans are giving up on debit cards, new survey reports

It couldn't be because of the rewards associated with CC use could it? Not to mention the security aspects.

Also, in a time when everyone seems so busy. Having all your bills paid automatically is a nice feature, and more conveintent online that mailing it.

Message 2 of 8
Established Contributor

@Janus wrote:

It couldn't be because of the rewards associated with CC use could it? Not to mention the security aspects.

Also, in a time when everyone seems so busy. Having all your bills paid automatically is a nice feature, and more conveintent online that mailing it.

I agree that may have a lot to do with it. I use my cc's for the rewards and the convenience of automatic bill pay. I only use my debit card if I need cash.

Jan 2017- 520s across the board
Current - EQ: 641 EXP: 647 TU: 646
First Goal/July 2018: 660+ across the board
NCFU CR $4.6k GR $10k MR $15k/Z Gallerie $3.5k/CareCredit $7k/Discover IT $1.5k/Merrick Bank $1.6k/Quicksilver $750/Ulta MC $1.5k
Gardening until the 4th of July 2018
Message 3 of 8
Frequent Contributor

I haven’t heard of the debit card before. Which bank is that offered from? All joking aside, I haven’t used my debit card for a purchase since February of 2015. Only time it ever gets used now is when I have to make a cash deposit as some people insist on handing me paper money. I hate it.

Message 4 of 8
Frequent Contributor

I'd also like to add that because credit is becoming more and more relevant and required (in some cases) in the lives of most, people are starting to do whatever it takes to improve their credit,  at least that is what I believe. Smiley Wink

Starting Score: 741
Current Score: TU (526), EX (561), EQ (491)
Goal Score: 610

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

In Re-build Mode
Card Lineup: Green Dot Bank Secured Visa ($205), Capital One Bank Secured Mastercard ($200), Applied Bank Secured Visa ($200), Merrick Bank Secured Visa ($200), Installment Loan ($330/$750), Self-Lender ($525—will report in September 2018), and Fingerhut WebBank Fresh Start ($230).

Goals:
- To settle all delinquent accounts by Jul. 2021
- To go without applying until May. 2020 (when all my inquiries fall off)
- To start a savings account
- To pay off my secured cards
“If you don't take good care of your credit, then your credit won't take good care of you.” - Tyler Gregory
Message 5 of 8
Super Contributor

My question to the United States Congress is: "Why don't you place the same security on Debit Cards/Accounts that you place on Credit Cards? Let the Consumer's have secured equal choice"? As it is in the world today, forgetting rewards ... there is no doubt I do not want my banking relationships placed at risk ... too many crooks Smiley Mad

Starting Score: 829 Fico TU08
Current Score: 835 Fico TU08
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 8
Valued Contributor

Debit cards:

-- have inferior protections against fraudulent use

-- usually do not earn rewards of any kind

Why would anyone want to use a debit card for anything other than an ATM withdrawal?

In my wallet: Chase Sapphire Reserve • PenFed Power Cash Rewards
Also have: Chase United MileagePlus Explorer • UNFCU Azure • NFCU cashRewards • NFCU Go Rewards • PenFed Promise
Message 7 of 8
Established Contributor

@UpperNwGuy wrote:

Debit cards:

-- have inferior protections against fraudulent use

-- usually do not earn rewards of any kind

-- provides direct access to your cash

Why would anyone want to use a debit card for anything other than an ATM withdrawal?

The third reason alone is enough for me to SD all my debit cards. I'm lucky that all the ATMs close to me are NFC capable so I can just use my phone. Short of an actual bank visit I never carry any debit cards on me.

7/10/18:

Message 8 of 8