Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Card is Bigger Than Your Card - Ranking US Card Issuers

tag
RicHowe
Valued Contributor

My Card is Bigger Than Your Card - Ranking US Card Issuers

An interesting read about card issuers and ranks them by number of accounts and by volume processing.

https://www.valuepenguin.com/largest-credit-card-issuers

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: My Card is Bigger Than Your Card - Ranking US Card Issuers

Thanks. Good read. I just wonder how much the Costco switch boosted Citi and dropped Amex. 

Message 2 of 7
Glen_M
Frequent Contributor

@RicHowe wrote:

An interesting read about card issuers and ranks them by number of accounts and by volume processing.

https://www.valuepenguin.com/largest-credit-card-issuers

Some interesting qualities you can determine by seeing which companies move up and down the different charts. 

Capital One for example: has lots of outstanding debts, and a large number of accounts, but grants substatially smaller lines of credit.

And American Express: with very little outstanding debt despite having lots of accounts with high limits.

Message 3 of 7
NRB525
Super Contributor

One thing these articles miss is that AMEX is big on corporate travel and purchasing cards. Those will dwarf any typical consumer, thus the high transaction volume on relatively light card issuance. 

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 4 of 7
silvius
New Contributor

I had not seen a breakout of the top ten before.  I did not know that Barclays and Wells Fargo would be in there but in retrospect it makes sense, especially with all of the illegal Wells Fargo Activity.

January 2023: 850 (Equifax FICO 9)
Message 5 of 7
Mahraja
Valued Contributor

+1NRB AMEX is big on corporate travel NO doubt..

Profile Worth 2.0+M+
___________R.a.j
"Be Stronger Than Your Strongest Excuse"
Message 6 of 7
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

What I find interesting how Synchrony Bank ranks in the top ten and how it ranks higher than several large traditional banks.

Lenders use securitization of credit card balances (sold to investors as bonds) which is the same process that caused the housing meltdown which went south along with loose lending standards. There is $1.2 +/- trillion in credit card debt outstanding in the USA - meaning carried balances, that along with rising interest rates (Federal Reserve action, not lender mark up), seems like mostly the same "players" - something to think (worry) about. 

Very interest read, thanks for posting it!

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.