cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NY Times article - "Perfect 10? Never Mind That. Ask Her for Her Credit Score."

tag
HiLine
Blogger

Re: NY Times article - "Perfect 10? Never Mind That. Ask Her for Her Credit Score."

@drkaje wrote:

@HiLine wrote:

Awesome article! It's going to be discussed on my blog one of these days. Smiley Happy

Anonymously, I hope. Smiley Happy

Hint: the blog isn't titled HiLine's Blog. Smiley Happy

Message 11 of 16
drkaje
Senior Contributor

Re: NY Times article - "Perfect 10? Never Mind That. Ask Her for Her Credit Score."

@ Tinu,

I think people who have gone through credit/spending issues (on either side) are hypersensitive on the issue.

There are really only a few reasons why I wouldn't date someone. DGF has been putting up with me almost 8 years so I really don't think about dating but if single... Horrible credit would be a huge red flag but not necessarily a deal breaker.

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 12 of 16
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

@drkaje wrote:

@ Tinu,

I think people who have gone through credit/spending issues (on either side) are hypersensitive on the issue.

There are really only a few reasons why I wouldn't date someone. DGF has been putting up with me almost 8 years so I really don't think about dating but if single... Horrible credit would be a huge red flag but not necessarily a deal breaker.

Yes, I agree with this, which is why I wrote: "I'm not suggesting writing off a potential partner based soley on score, but I think it's a very good idea to discuss the issue." There may be reasons why the person's score is low -- job loss, medical bills, etc. -- that do not necessarily bespeak a flippant attitude towards finances. But I do think that it's a subject that should be explored if a couple is interested in being in a serious relationship.

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 13 of 16
tpmlls
New Contributor

That is a crazy story....

Message 14 of 16
Roarmeister
Frequent Contributor

I think more people know their astrological sign than actually know their credit score.  Seriously, I think you are probably going to have people ask you for your birthdate or signfar sooner because they think that that is a key to a good future relationship. 

The other standard question of your prospective significant other are - what do you do for a living? what's your family like? where did you grow up? what kind of movies do you like? yada yada yada  Broaching the topic of fiscal responsibility and credit score of your date is not an easy thing for a number of people to discuss.  It is quite awkward for some to answer and may be impossible to answer if you don't have a clue what your score is.  But in the broader scheme of getting to know you partner it makes sense to discuss it fairly early in the relationship.

Sometimes, you get the grilling from the date's parent when you meet them.  "How much money do you make?", etc. especially if you are the guy dating his daughter.

"Yes, sir.  I make xxxxxx/yr and my credit score is 750+ and I own my own home, etc.  Am I good enough for your daughter?"

Starting Score: EQ 732 October 2007; Current Score: EQ 839; TU 865, July 2022;
Oldest Reporting EQ Account: 20.4 years; EQ AAoA: 9.9 years;
ACTUAL Oldest account 40.1 years; ACTUAL AAoA 19.3 years.

Message 15 of 16
blondy250
Established Contributor

It's an absolute great idea to know a potential partners credit score. Just as important as knowing medical/criminal and family history issues, when to ask that question,  and how is the touchy part. Financial problems are the number one reason for relationship problems, a low score would definately be a deal breaker for me, and of course men have a lot more to lose in any divorce.

Fico 8 12/9/17
Equifax 850, TransUnion 842 10/30/17 , Experian 842 12/11/17 . AAOA 12 years Oldest 20
No inquires since 2014
All credit reports frozen
Fico 8 Equifax Bankcard 866 12/27/16
Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.