Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Neiman Marcus files for bankruptcy

tag
Streetervillelady
Frequent Contributor

Neiman Marcus files for bankruptcy

This has me alarmed.  My Neiman's and Bergdorf's 25K SL's padded my utility nicely.

Message 1 of 29
28 REPLIES 28
Hut1
Established Contributor

Re: Neiman Marcus files for bankruptcy

Resource link?

download

Message 2 of 29
notmyrealname23
Established Contributor

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-neimanmarcus-bankruptcy-exclusive-idUSKBN2210CW

Not yet, but very soon...

First Tech FCU Choice Rewards World MC 35k | AMEX Hilton Aspire 17.5k | Chase Southwest Priority Visa 15.5k | AMEX Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant 15k | Bilt Rewards MC 14k | Capital One Venture X 13k | Fidelity VISA Signature 11.5k | Citi AA Platinum Select 11.9k | Charles Schwab AMEX Platinum NPSL | Amex Platinum (I know) NPSL | Amex Gold NPSL | Citi Premier 8.9k | Chase Fredom Unlimited 9k | SoFi MC World Elite 8k | Capital One SavorOne 7.5k | PayPal Synchrony MC 6.4k | Citi Custom Cash 6.9k | DiscoverIt Cashback 5k | Amazon/Synchrony 5k | Hotels.com 5k | AMEX Delta Gold 3k | Apple Card 3k | Target 800 | Ch 13 filed 12/13 discharged as paid 1/19
Message 3 of 29
wasCB14
Super Contributor

I wonder what clothes shopping behaviors will look like a year or two from now...

On one hand, a pandemic can make a lot of luxury consumer products seem like a major waste of money. Even people with steady incomes can be more focused on health and necessities. I don't really use social media, but I've read it's kind of weird especially now with influencers (who are themselves struggling) promoting overpriced garbage in what most would consider poor taste...oblivious to the concerns of everyone else. But it's their source of income, so they promote.

On the other hand, what people don't spend on going out or travel they might want to spend at home...and when it ends, we may see demand for luxury rise greatly as people feel the desire to splurge again.

Of course, NM was likely to go even before covid.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 4 of 29
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@Streetervillelady wrote:

This has me alarmed.  My Neiman's and Bergdorf's 25K SL's padded my utility nicely.

Sorry to hearSmiley Sad

Message 5 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Some of these stores have been on the ropes for years so it's not surprising. I'm always shocked Sears keeps surviving though. 

Message 6 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@wasCB14 wrote:

I wonder what clothes shopping behaviors will look like a year or two from now...

I don't really use social media, but I've read it's kind of weird especially now with influencers (who are themselves struggling) promoting overpriced garbage in what most would consider poor taste...oblivious to the concerns of everyone else. But it's their source of income, so they promote.

Check out this recent article concerning influencers. They are absolutely shameless. lol: Influencer Brands Are Staying (Scarily) Strong And Are Quickly Pivoting To Quarantine Sponcon

'Sponcon' is 'sponsored content', while trying to play it off as if it's just another post about something unrelated. Like putting a Coke can or Apple laptop on a desk in a TV show.

Poor Neiman Marcus. Too many Starbucks and avocado toast. I bet they bought a brand new iPhone too. tsk tsk

Message 7 of 29
egghead88
Regular Contributor

Crazy.. I applied for a NM card Saturday night and got a 30 day message. 

Message 8 of 29
iced
Valued Contributor

This was in the works for a while. Barney's has already effectively shut down and Macy's has maybe 5-10 years left before it's over. Writing's on the wall. I haven't looked at the numbers for Nordstrom but I imagine they're also in rough shape.

Message 9 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not that I shop there or half the places on the edge of GOOB, but I will be sad if one day we can't get these items in a physical store. Not all of use like buying sight unseen online for everything...

Had to edit my reply as it bleeped out "I" for some reason. lol

Message 10 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.