cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Never, ever use a debit card,' warns fraud expert and ex-con artist — here's what to do instead

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Never, ever use a debit card,' warns fraud expert and ex-con artist — here's what to do instead

Interesting article, and also seems to promote that even ID theives can have a legitimate career after. How must restitution did he have to repay before he started raking in all this legal cash?

That said, I've stopped using my debit card 99/9%. And as others have posted, only keep a minimal cash in said account. 

I'm curious about Paypal though, I have it linked to both accounts so that I can move Money into them from various revenue streams.

Message 11 of 37
SEAlifer
Established Contributor

Re: Never, ever use a debit card,' warns fraud expert and ex-con artist — here's what to do instead

Since I started using CCs, I put everything I can on the cards and keep as much of my money in savings as possible. That way I just use my checking accounts as needed, only use my debit card to get cash, earn savings interest on what I have and get the points for the day to day spending. I love having two layers of security plus with my intro 0% APRs I can carry a small balance for big purchases. Before potential work travel terrified me because I was afraid I wouldn’t have enough cash in the moment to pay for it all at once then wait to be reimbursed. There are benefits to credit cards if you can use them correctly, for sure. Like this forum :-)
AU

Message 12 of 37
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Interesting article, and also seems to promote that even ID theives can have a legitimate career after. How must restitution did he have to repay before he started raking in all this legal cash?

That said, I've stopped using my debit card 99/9%. And as others have posted, only keep a minimal cash in said account. 

I'm curious about Paypal though, I have it linked to both accounts so that I can move Money into them from various revenue streams.

I think it’s good that he got a second chance considering he was only 15-21 when he committed his crime and is now 71. 

I, for one, appreciate him using his skill to teach others, especially the FBI. 

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 13 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't carry or use my debit cards (nor do I keep money in my chequing accounts), but I do use them when I have to get $20 of walking around money every few months or on the rare occasions someone gives me some money or a cheque.

Can you even go into a branch (apart from your "home" branch) and withdraw money without one? I've never done any in-person banking in the US, but in Canada when I deal with a live person at the bank (BMO) the first step is inserting my debit card and entering the PIN so they can pull up my account.

Message 14 of 37
Girlzilla88
Valued Contributor

I agree I only put money in the checking side when I expect a certain bill to come out etc I never keep a higher amount (over 3k) in my bank for many reasons but this just adds to my fear of something bad like that happening to my money lol.    I may make good money but I'm not RICH RICH to where I wouldn't miss 50k for a few weeks while they tried to figure it out Rofl.

Message 15 of 37
Medic981
Valued Contributor

@CreditInspired wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I think it’s good that he got a second chance considering he was only 15-21 when he committed his crime and is now 71. 

I, for one, appreciate him using his skill to teach others, especially the FBI. 

He was arrested at the age of 21 in France and spent six months in prison there, six months in a Swedish jail and was then deported to the US (not before he'd escaped from the airplane intended to transport him). After serving five years of his 12-year sentence, he was paroled on the condition that he helped the FBI uncover cheque forgers. He has since made a career as a security consultant, working closely with the FBI for almost 40 years, and launching his own company Abagnale & Associates. His story was the basis of the movie Catch Me If You Can.

Your FICO credit scores are not just numbers, it’s a skill.
Message 16 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for posting this. My dh will not listen to me about the risk of using debit card & checks. Hopefully this article will help get it into his very very v e r y  hard head. Smiley Very Happy

Message 17 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

And not just the risk of debit cards. What about all the protections of credit cards? It’s just not worth using a debit card for a purchase.
Message 18 of 37
Medic981
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
And not just the risk of debit cards. What about all the protections of credit cards? It’s just not worth using a debit card for a purchase.

I agree as I have my debit cards locked in the safe and they are frozen or locked so they are unable to be used. I always pay with a credit card and then pull money from my checking to cover the payment. As I have several credit cards to choose from, if one gets compromised it can be replaced and I can use another until the replacement arrives. 

If my debit card gets compromised then I would have to wait until it gets replaced before being able to use it AND have to deal with getting the stolen funds returned to my checking or savings account.

Your FICO credit scores are not just numbers, it’s a skill.
Message 19 of 37
blindambition
Senior Contributor

My debit cards are in a safe, locked in the account. Never used.

Message 20 of 37
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.