cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Never, ever use a debit card,' warns fraud expert and ex-con artist — here's what to do instead

Auto Loans for ANY Credit Situation. Immediate Response.
Advertiser disclosure
Valued Contributor

Re: Never, ever use a debit card,' warns fraud expert and ex-con artist — here's what to do instead

Interesting article, and also seems to promote that even ID theives can have a legitimate career after. How must restitution did he have to repay before he started raking in all this legal cash?

That said, I've stopped using my debit card 99/9%. And as others have posted, only keep a minimal cash in said account. 

I'm curious about Paypal though, I have it linked to both accounts so that I can move Money into them from various revenue streams.

Message 11 of 13
Frequent Contributor

Re: Never, ever use a debit card,' warns fraud expert and ex-con artist — here's what to do instead

Since I started using CCs, I put everything I can on the cards and keep as much of my money in savings as possible. That way I just use my checking accounts as needed, only use my debit card to get cash, earn savings interest on what I have and get the points for the day to day spending. I love having two layers of security plus with my intro 0% APRs I can carry a small balance for big purchases. Before potential work travel terrified me because I was afraid I wouldn’t have enough cash in the moment to pay for it all at once then wait to be reimbursed. There are benefits to credit cards if you can use them correctly, for sure. Like this forum :-)

AU

Starting Score: 651
Current Score: 684
Goal Score: 751

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 12 of 13
Community Leader
Senior Contributor

@Janus wrote:

Interesting article, and also seems to promote that even ID theives can have a legitimate career after. How must restitution did he have to repay before he started raking in all this legal cash?

That said, I've stopped using my debit card 99/9%. And as others have posted, only keep a minimal cash in said account. 

I'm curious about Paypal though, I have it linked to both accounts so that I can move Money into them from various revenue streams.

I think it’s good that he got a second chance considering he was only 15-21 when he committed his crime and is now 71. 

I, for one, appreciate him using his skill to teach others, especially the FBI. 

GOALS: Garden til APR 2020 and 800 Club

SEP 2019: EX 791, TU 797, EQ 800
JUN 2019: EX 788, TU 794, EQ 779
DEC 2018: EX 777, TU 783, EQ 799

|| AmX Cash Magnet $25K || NFCU CashRewards $20K || Macy's $20K || Discover IT $18.7K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $12.5K || AmX ED $11.5K || CitiCostco $7K || CitiDC $6.3K ||
Message 13 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.