cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Never, ever use a debit card,' warns fraud expert and ex-con artist — here's what to do instead

tag
Medic981
Valued Contributor

Re: Never, ever use a debit card,' warns fraud expert and ex-con artist — here's what to do instead

@blindambition wrote:

My debit cards are in a safe, locked in the account. Never used.

I have closed all of my bank accounts from my pre-myFICO days and only have bank accounts since starting my rebuild. I too have never used my debit cards, even to take money out from the ATM. That is what Disco's cash over purchase is for!!!

Your FICO credit scores are not just numbers, it’s a skill.
Message 21 of 37
blindambition
Senior Contributor

Re: Never, ever use a debit card,' warns fraud expert and ex-con artist — here's what to do instead

There's very few things that require cash now. Of course I have some for those random moments.

So many horror stories with debit cards. My anxiety can't deal!! 😃 

Chase is main bank. There's a new thing where you can use phone with ATM. I won't even try that.

Message 22 of 37
icednightpaper
Regular Contributor

I switched over to CC only around a year ago and it’s been a fantastic choice. However, I will be one of those: it’s a shame that debit cards are so risky because I have one that I really want to use due to its design. Alas, it remains locked and essentially sealed away.
Message 23 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is why I use CC's! Thanks for sharing!

Message 24 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

I use my Amex like a debit card.  If I'm going to swipe, I might as well get points.  Full transparency, I got my debit card compromised using it online a few years ago.  I haven't used it since (got a new one btw).

Message 25 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

How do you get money from ATM without debit card?

- should i change my target debit to a credit card?

Message 26 of 37
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Money?

What's that? Smiley LOL

Honestly, I don't know the last time I had cash on me or even used cash to pay for anything.

I would say yes if it doesn't create a HP

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 27 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditInspired wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Money?

What's that? Smiley LOL

Honestly, I don't know the last time I had cash on me or even used cash to pay for anything.

I would say yes if it doesn't create a HP

It is a HP to get the CC version.

Also, it is great if you *can* use CCs in place of debit, but not everyone has the credit to get said CCs or CCs with high enough limits to cover all spend (even beyond paying every single transaction available credit, like for making larger purchases).

I was die-hard cash only and then forced into getting a bank account. I used debit for over a decade without a hitch. You can get rewards/discounts etc with debit as well.

I am not saying the protections are equivalent, just that CCs are potentially not accessible, available, practical or obtainable for all. There are those considerations, too...

Message 28 of 37
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Of course, one has to do what one has to do. One size never fits all. 

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 29 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wait. You cannot use debit card without PIN.

Does not it make it 9999 times safer than credit card?

In europe you cannot pay with debit cards without PIN or online verification with the bank.

Message 30 of 37
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.