Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New AMEX Branding

tag
RicHowe
Valued Contributor

New AMEX Branding

Here is an article that breaks down the new AMEX branding and logo that was introduced this week.

https://www.underconsideration.com/brandnew/archives/new_logo_and_identity_for_american_express_by_p...

Overall I like the improvements.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Zolomon
Regular Contributor

Re: New AMEX Branding

I like the overall changes as well, but I'm going to have to get used to this one right here.

american_express_logo_shorthand

Someone in the comments suggested these. I must admit, I would prefer the logo on the left.

cea7241841134d73398f9667368469b479a0b950fcb1e5653455b5ae3f765d1a

At the end of the day, I'm just happy to have an Amex.

Personal cards:

Business cards:

Message 2 of 9
jlitnns
Established Contributor

Saw it yesterday after my app updated on my phone. I thought it was a mistake...I guess not.

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Great report. My card history relates back to the Spartan and I always liked that. Remembering "don't leave home without it" Smiley Happy
Message 4 of 9
Dalmus
Valued Contributor

I don't know if I'm just old fashioned, but I really dislike this design trend (and its everywhere, not just here) to make logos blocky and colored as if designed by a 5 year old who only had 4 crayons to choose from.

I personally like the logo with the color gradiant better.  It looks classier...  But solid blue isn't THAT big a change.

From the article regarding the "small space" version:  "I really appreciate how this new logo is derived from the main one, retaining the key graphic differentiators (blue square, angled type, white outline) and staying undeniably recognizable as American Express."

Derived?  Somebody just did a "Select" box in MS Paint and cropped off the right piece of the logo and then hit save.  I'm sure somebody got paid lots of money to do that...

NFCU MR: $25K | Venture: $21K | Amex ED: $18K | NFCU CR: $18K | Amex BCE: $15K | IT #1: $17.5K | PNC Core: $15K | PPMC:  $12K | Wells Fargo: $11K | Savor: 12K | Cap1 QS: $8.5K | Barclays Rewards: $7.75K | IT #2: $7.3K | MLife: $9.5K | Sportsman's Guide: $8.7K | PenFed PR: $5.5K | Elan Plat: $2.3K | TRV: $3.6K | BotW: $3K

Current FICO 8 Scores: EQ: 828| TU: 805 | EX: 814

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex continues to embarrass themselves. I wish Chase would come out with a consumer charge card with similar characteristics as the AMEX charge cards so I could jump ship to them. Some people might ask, “what’s the big deal,” but I like having one card in my wallet that plays around with my psychology a bit... And in a good way. 

Its just not a good year for them from a PR perspective and I don’t see it getting any better as 2018 goes on. Obviously they pushed one moronic CEO out and replaced him with another. 

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@RicHowe wrote:

Here is an article that breaks down the new AMEX branding and logo that was introduced this week.

https://www.underconsideration.com/brandnew/archives/new_logo_and_identity_for_american_express_by_p...

Overall I like the improvements.

Love Heart the improvements... Smiley Very Happy

Message 7 of 9
silvius
New Contributor

It reminds me of Federal Express's rebranding about fifteen years ago or so.   Of course, FedEx is what we all recognize today as the brand.

January 2023: 850 (Equifax FICO 9)
Message 8 of 9
Dalmus
Valued Contributor

@silvius wrote:

It reminds me of Federal Express's rebranding about fifteen years ago or so.   Of course, FedExis what we all recognized today as the brand.

I love messing with the millenials at work by calling them Federal Express.  I'd say about 60% give me a blank stare.   I know, its not their fault if they've never heard it called anything else, but its still amusing to the grownups.  Smiley Happy

Of course, they get back at me by sending me emails in "text speak" that I have a hard time parsing, so its all in good fun!  (No, I don't allow my people to communicate with the outside world in text speak!)

NFCU MR: $25K | Venture: $21K | Amex ED: $18K | NFCU CR: $18K | Amex BCE: $15K | IT #1: $17.5K | PNC Core: $15K | PPMC:  $12K | Wells Fargo: $11K | Savor: 12K | Cap1 QS: $8.5K | Barclays Rewards: $7.75K | IT #2: $7.3K | MLife: $9.5K | Sportsman's Guide: $8.7K | PenFed PR: $5.5K | Elan Plat: $2.3K | TRV: $3.6K | BotW: $3K

Current FICO 8 Scores: EQ: 828| TU: 805 | EX: 814

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.