Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No talk about the Google Card?!!?

tag
Tyrannos
Valued Member

No talk about the Google Card?!!?

Already seen two new stories about it but nothing yet on MyFico?

https://gizmodo.com/leaks-emerge-about-googles-upcoming-rival-to-the-apple-1842925996

I guess the biggest question at this point is what would you want to see from the Google card to be worth getting?

Also with Google tracking everything already how do you feel about them tracking people's actual transactions?

PNC Pointless: $6900 | Amex Blue Cash Preferred: $6000 | Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Signature Card: $5000 | AOD Visa Signature: $5000 | Discover IT Cash Back: $3700 | Ollo Optimum: $2600 | Citi Double Cash: $2500 | Synchrony - Discount Tire: $2500 | Marvel: $1500 | Capital One Walmart: $300
US Bank Cash+: $1000 | Capital One Savor One: $2500 | Chase Freedom: $500 | Capital One Walmart: $300
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
TheFIGuy
Established Contributor

Re: No talk about the Google Card?!!?

@Tyrannos wrote:

https://gizmodo.com/leaks-emerge-about-googles-upcoming-rival-to-the-apple-1842925996

I guess the biggest question at this point is what would you want to see from the Google card to be worth getting?

Also with Google tracking everything already how do you feel about them tracking people's actual transactions?

@Tyrannos I'm probably not going to apply for it seeing I'm in the Apple/iOS ecosystem. But I am happy they're coming out with another competitor's credit card to combat Apple Card. It will drive a competitive market place and cause Apple/Goldman Sachs to be challenged on its current credit card practices.

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Message 3 of 10
TheFIGuy
Established Contributor

@Anonymous I missed that, yup DEAD!

Message 4 of 10
KJinNC
Valued Contributor

@Tyrannos wrote:

The lack of discussion here may be because it's a debit card, not a credit card. As for what I'd want to see to make it worth getting, it's hard for me to think of what would make me want it, to be honest. But I can see why Google would want it, to strengthen their ecosystem, especially Google Pay.

@Tyrannos wrote:

NOT GREAT.

FICO Resilience Index: 64. Cards: 5/24, 2/12, 2/6. Accounts including loans: 8/24, 4/12, 3/6. Card CLs total $213,900, or $240,400 including the AU card. Cards (oldest to newest)

Authorized user / Corporate / Auto loans / Personal loan
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's a debit card. Meh. Unless they plan on offering CB or points...

Also, the writer of the article compares it to the Apple Card, which is apples to oranges because, again, it's a debit card.

Message 6 of 10
CYBERSAM
Senior Contributor

It's a debit card, who cares! 🙄

Message 7 of 10
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@TheFIGuy wrote:

@Tyrannos wrote:

@Tyrannos I'm probably not going to apply for it seeing I'm in the Apple/iOS ecosystem. But I am happy they're coming out with another competitor's credit card to combat Apple Card. It will drive a competitive market place and cause Apple/Goldman Sachs to be challenged on its current credit card practices.

Google Card will only be a threat to the Apple Card if people are willing to change ecosystems...

...and people who are willing to change ecosystems probably don't have much interest in either.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 8 of 10
Ficoproblems247
Valued Contributor

"Google will need to figure out if it wants to create a true rival to the Apple Card. What kind of perks will the Google card have, will the physical card be made out of fancy material like titanium, and most importantly, what kind of privacy and security will the Google card offer?"

I don't think the author of this article understands what they're even talking about if they're thinking that these two products are direct competitors. The one advantage to this is obviously it opens the door to anyone who otherwise would not be approved for a revolving account. Sounds like just another online only FI like Chime and the like. 

FICO 8 Sep '23 EX 755 EQ 765 TU 739
TCL $199,800
Message 9 of 10
iced
Valued Contributor

@Tyrannos wrote:

I want to see them offer something, anything, that makes people use it in such a way that's exciting enough to drive up the value of all my GOOGL stock.

Anyone who's used the Internet in the last decade and is still concerned with privacy and/or tracking needs to have a serious self-reflection on their priorities. As you said, they already track all this, so why anyone would suddenly be concerned now about them doing something they're already doing is ... odd to me.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.