cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paying Taxes With a Credit Card: Yea or Nay?

tag
veracious
Established Contributor

Paying Taxes With a Credit Card: Yea or Nay?

From another forum.........

Taxes aren’t due this year until April 17 but already readers are asking: Should I pay my taxes with my credit card? Or better yet, a rewards credit card?

I’m all for maximizing cash back, miles, or points, but if you pay your taxes with a credit card, you have to pay a convenience fee, which varies by service provider. For example, if you e-file through Turbo Tax, you’ll pay a 2.49 percent fee.

Let’s take a look at the numbers and see if it makes sense:

http://www.credit.com/blog/2012/01/paying-taxes-with-a-credit-card-yea-or-nay/

I know the smart folks here would never do this, but , for the benefit of others, don't even think about it.

3 REPLIES 3
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: Paying Taxes With a Credit Card: Yea or Nay?

It might actually make sense to bite the bullet and pay the extra money to do this, IF you are close enough to a certain level of rewards, and the purchase would push you over the top to redeem points, miles..etc..

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 4
veracious
Established Contributor

@pizzadude wrote:

It might actually make sense to bite the bullet and pay the extra money to do this, IF you are close enough to a certain level of rewards, and the purchase would push you over the top to redeem points, miles..etc..

OK pizzadude.  Here's more food for your thoughts. Although it was an article from last year, it may be just what you were thinking.

Reader Request: Earning Miles & Points on a $1.4 Million Tax Bill?

http://millionmilesecrets.com/2011/12/27/taxes/

Happy trails to you!      Just make sure the tax payment isn't excluded due to TOS restrictions.

Keep us posted if you find out more.

pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Interesting article ~ thanks for posting. The one logistical issue that I didn't see them raise is that you would a CC with a $1Million CL to pay it this way ~ otherwise you would still have to pay it in multiple chunks, each with its own transaction fee...
March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.