Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

People Desperate to Buy Bitcoin Are Paying With Credit Cards

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

People Desperate to Buy Bitcoin Are Paying With Credit Cards

"About 18 percent of bitcoin investors used a credit card to fund purchases of the cryptocurrency, according to a LendEDU survey of 672 active investors conducted in December. Of those, 22 percent could not pay off their balance after buying the digital coin."

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-01-11/bitcoin-buyers-turn-to-credit-cards-as-fomo-breed...
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
marty56
Super Contributor

Re: People Desperate to Buy Bitcoin Are Paying With Credit Cards

Going from bad to worse.

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 2 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would use a CC too if the rewards outweighed any convenience fees. But buying with money you don't have on-hand already and are willing to lose? That's just not smart at all.

Message 3 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Way back people got into buying silver and so much of it that they couldn't pay their bills and had to sell... doesn't sound so different.

Message 4 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
"About 18 percent of bitcoin investors used a credit card to fund purchases of the cryptocurrency, according to a LendEDU survey of 672 active investors conducted in December. Of those, 22 percent could not pay off their balance after buying the digital coin."

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-01-11/bitcoin-buyers-turn-to-credit-cards-as-fomo-breeds-risk-taking

And to make matters worse. Some banks close down all accounts with that user for buying crypto currency with credit cards. Chase is a big one for that. People wanting to invedt in that should use their own actual money to be safe.

Message 5 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Something interesting happen today my card from Wells Fargo was decline so when I called into to find out what had happen... Rep told me that in fact many people are calling in to make sure they can buy bitcoin I'm like? I was just reading that here but I didn't tell her that but needless to say I was cleared turned out because I used Lyft and did a few other transactions Wells Fargo wanted to make sure I was using my card and not someone else.

Message 6 of 16
arkane
Established Contributor

Short this sucker and wait for the bubble to burst. Smiley Very Happy

Active:

Closed:

6/8/20:

Message 7 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

It’s already bursting. There’s a reason why crypto currencies are so popular with potheads.
Message 8 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@arkane wrote:

Lol. It’s already ready to burst. It will never be a real currency. Coming up is probably the time to sell before the bubble bursts lol. That’s a speculative product for ya....

Message 9 of 16
arkane
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@arkane wrote:

Lol. It’s already ready to burst. It will never be a real currency. Coming up is probably the time to sell before the bubble bursts lol. That’s a speculative product for ya....

I'm actually amazed they offer futures on crypto. What, crypto isn't speculative enough for you? Well now you can speculate on the speculation! Way too meta man, hurts my head LOL

Active:

Closed:

6/8/20:

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.