cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

People Desperate to Buy Bitcoin Are Paying With Credit Cards

Frequent Contributor

People Desperate to Buy Bitcoin Are Paying With Credit Cards

"About 18 percent of bitcoin investors used a credit card to fund purchases of the cryptocurrency, according to a LendEDU survey of 672 active investors conducted in December. Of those, 22 percent could not pay off their balance after buying the digital coin."

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-01-11/bitcoin-buyers-turn-to-credit-cards-as-fomo-breed...

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES
Super Contributor

Re: People Desperate to Buy Bitcoin Are Paying With Credit Cards

Going from bad to worse.

06/13/2018: FICO 821 EQ 814 TU 808 EX
Message 2 of 16
Valued Contributor

I would use a CC too if the rewards outweighed any convenience fees. But buying with money you don't have on-hand already and are willing to lose? That's just not smart at all.

TU FICO 8: 745 (1/18) — Ex FICO 8: 738 (1/18)
Message 3 of 16
Established Contributor

Way back people got into buying silver and so much of it that they couldn't pay their bills and had to sell... doesn't sound so different.

Gardening 2020-2021
Total CL 113k+ UTIL 0.01% Uber Visa, DoubleCash, Quicksilver, Discover IT, Freedom Ulimited, Blue Cash, Premier Rewards GOLD
Message 4 of 16
Regular Contributor

TwistedCircuits wrote:
"About 18 percent of bitcoin investors used a credit card to fund purchases of the cryptocurrency, according to a LendEDU survey of 672 active investors conducted in December. Of those, 22 percent could not pay off their balance after buying the digital coin."

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-01-11/bitcoin-buyers-turn-to-credit-cards-as-fomo-breed...

And to make matters worse. Some banks close down all accounts with that user for buying crypto currency with credit cards. Chase is a big one for that. People wanting to invedt in that should use their own actual money to be safe.

Starting Score: 600
Current Score: Exp = 703 Tran = 706 Equ = 710
Goal Score: 800

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
AAoA Exp = 12.2 Equ = 7.5 Tra = 7.4
Inquiry Exp = 1 Equ = 0 Tra = 2
Message 5 of 16
Established Contributor

Something interesting happen today my card from Wells Fargo was decline so when I called into to find out what had happen... Rep told me that in fact many people are calling in to make sure they can buy bitcoin I'm like? I was just reading that here but I didn't tell her that but needless to say I was cleared turned out because I used Lyft and did a few other transactions Wells Fargo wanted to make sure I was using my card and not someone else.

Gardening 2020-2021
Total CL 113k+ UTIL 0.01% Uber Visa, DoubleCash, Quicksilver, Discover IT, Freedom Ulimited, Blue Cash, Premier Rewards GOLD
Message 6 of 16
Established Contributor

Short this sucker and wait for the bubble to burst. Smiley Very Happy

Message 7 of 16
Regular Contributor

It’s already bursting. There’s a reason why crypto currencies are so popular with potheads.
Scores TU 723 EQ 705 EX 729
FAKO TU 753 EQ 747 EX 738
Inquiries 8-10 across.
UTI 13% AAoA 2.4
No baddies
Total CL $103800
Almost AZEO
Revised goal 2018 $125k

Message 8 of 16
Regular Contributor

arkane wrote:

Lol. It’s already ready to burst. It will never be a real currency. Coming up is probably the time to sell before the bubble bursts lol. That’s a speculative product for ya....

Starting Score: 600
Current Score: Exp = 703 Tran = 706 Equ = 710
Goal Score: 800

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
AAoA Exp = 12.2 Equ = 7.5 Tra = 7.4
Inquiry Exp = 1 Equ = 0 Tra = 2
Message 9 of 16
Established Contributor

Benmarkley3 wrote:

arkane wrote:

Lol. It’s already ready to burst. It will never be a real currency. Coming up is probably the time to sell before the bubble bursts lol. That’s a speculative product for ya....

I'm actually amazed they offer futures on crypto. What, crypto isn't speculative enough for you? Well now you can speculate on the speculation! Way too meta man, hurts my head LOL

Message 10 of 16