cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

People Don't know what they are getting into with student loans.

tag
Andypanda
Established Contributor

People Don't know what they are getting into with student loans.

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: People Don't know what they are getting into with student loans.

Possibly because Finance is no longer taught it seems, and people just have "pay it later" on their mind. Ignorant/oblivious of the conequences. Or that they can follow you your whole life. Not to metnion the fact some students don't take courses they'll actually need career wise. 

The College system is no different than any other system meant to keep certain people in their place. It's seriously outdated, and should be adjusted to fit the times we're in and make it financially accessible to everyone. 

Message 2 of 15
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

Not any different that any other debt.

It is an investment in your long term career.

At least they have PAYE when you really are not making any money unlike credit cards or mortgages or car loans.

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 3 of 15
radfam
Frequent Contributor

I actually think this is accurate. I’m not that far removed (4 years) from post-grad. I had no idea what I was getting into with student loan debt. No ones fault but my own, but I do honestly feel like public Uni and federal student loans are quite predatory in their tactics and misinformation.
Fico 8 as of 03/09/2023:

Message 4 of 15
fuzzle
Regular Contributor

I don't know how they can't know, the large sum that will need to be repaid should get the attention of kids who have little cash flow. Maybe they are being deceived about what kind of paycheck they can expect; would be a good idea to put that info right on the loan form, if the college doesn't want to make that guarantee then minimum wage can be assumed

Message 5 of 15
Duke_Nukem
Established Contributor

Part of the issue is that many people have no grasp of reality. 

For instance, the past few years I've been noticing that close to half of our local high school grads state they are going to major in Physical Therapy or Kinesiology.  Along with thousands of other HS grads.  For colleges that only have enough slots to accept 100 students per year.  Most of those HS grads haven't done the prep work to realize that it is highly competitive to get into certain programs and that they really need to focus on their grades, extracurriculars, volunteer work, job shadowing, or whatever else it takes to get into these competitive programs.  Even though it may be a Bachelor's degree (typically a 4-year process), it may still take 5-6 years to complete due to meeting the required prerequisites to even apply to get into these programs.

Also for example, colleges are offering degrees in fields that aren't relevant or no jobs can be found.  I have a family member that received a BS in something obscure like Medieval German Basketweaving from a private college with a $50K per year tuition and housing.  Guess what... no jobs could be found, so they work a minimum wage job while still trying to pay on those student loans.

Message 6 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sadness sets in when I read stories around the news media and happenings to actual people here on the forum that strive to achieve some form of post secondary educations. Colleges (private/public) need to think about what programs/majors they need to offer for the today's student and the world needs to look at the costs driving college costs. Examples that come to mind from my own hands on experience are: pay for the administration, how many buildings can we support, why are the legislatures backing away from supporting the public institutions, not to mention pay for the required staffs (yes I have been involved as a board member at a college).

My state college system is supporting more than 37 two year/four college/universities, all with presidents and complete staffs providing  academic programs. The state legislature is wrestling with how to keep it all together along with facing the question of declining enrollments due to the reduction in the number of high school seniors (lower birth rate) through 2025. The decline is not only based on the availability of funds for students to attend but, the decline in the number of available students to attend. This all translates to less revenues to support Eastern Basket Weaving and/or courses that actually will pay the bills.

In truth, I am a Dinosaur that was fortunate to be able pay my own way through college but, everything did NOT cost the student what it does today. Fees at our state colleges are high so that new dorms, food services and athletic facilities can be constructed to be competitive and attract students. Like the US Debt we can NOT afford all of this and go on. Students should be able to attend college and not have to mortgage their future for 50 years to achieve the needed job skills required in today's market place. I reside in a major mining area and to get hired, the companies require a two year degree or certificate in their areas of need ... the day of walking in the door just breathing won't cut it. Well there you go ... I ranted about this! Smiley Frustrated

As an aside, since I was not part of the college per se my concerns expressed on the costs and over building of campuses did not make me in favor with the college faculty and administration ... have not changed my mind as I read the stories of students.

Message 7 of 15
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

One does not have to go to a private university out of state to get a good education.

Every major city in the U.S. has a college or university.

If you don't understand how to add up your loans and apply interest, you probably should not be in college.

At some point, people have to take resposibility for their actions.

The fact is almost ever person in America has the ability to at least go to college with the availability of federal loans.

I have student loans and so does my wife.  Our parents did not pay for us to go.

I fully understand how much it sucks to make that payment every month, but it is better than a heck of a lot of jobs some people are forced to do every day for their entire life.

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 8 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Possibly because Finance is no longer taught it seems, and people just have "pay it later" on their mind. Ignorant/oblivious of the conequences. Or that they can follow you your whole life. Not to metnion the fact some students don't take courses they'll actually need career wise. 

The College system is no different than any other system meant to keep certain people in their place. It's seriously outdated, and should be adjusted to fit the times we're in and make it financially accessible to everyone. 

I agree with posts above. What surprising is that there are other ways to obtain financing such as Federal Aid, Pell Grants and etc. Student loans isnt the only option out there. When I finished 4 years college, it all through Federal aid and State's Pell grants that helped me to get through college. 

Message 9 of 15
OmarR
Established Contributor

In addition to all the good posts made by everyone, I also think that ridiculous student loan debt has become acceptable and the norm since "everyone is doing it".

It's like the math and all common sense "goes out the door" because everyone is trying to keep up with each other.

And everyone already at the top is laughing all the way to the bank. Just another form of control.

EQ=850   EX=845   TU=843       0/24       UTIL=$1    AZEO

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.