cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

People Don't know what they are getting into with student loans.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: People Don't know what they are getting into with student loans.

@Shooting-For-800 wrote:

Not any different that any other debt.

It is an investment in your long term career.

At least they have PAYE when you really are not making any money unlike credit cards or mortgages or car loans.

I wonder how many understand that crucial line ¨It is an investment in your long term career¨ I will say that less than half 

Message 11 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'll also add that i think most people feel they have to go to College right out of the gate, and that mnay of them don't truly know what they want to do yet. At such a  young age. For people who for certain want to be Doctors, Lawyers, etc. can go studty early because of how many years are involed. But most other people should think about what calls to them, and possibly take 1-2 years off after High School to truly ponder what to study. 

In additon, there are a lot of(most) High Schools that simply do not prepare kids for College life and what will be expected of them. The American System could learn alot for some of the Asian and European Education systems.

Message 12 of 15
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

I'll also add that i think most people feel they have to go to College right out of the gate, and that mnay of them don't truly know what they want to do yet. At such a  young age. For people who for certain want to be Doctors, Lawyers, etc. can go studty early because of how many years are involed. But most other people should think about what calls to them, and possibly take 1-2 years off after High School to truly ponder what to study. 

In additon, there are a lot of(most) High Schools that simply do not prepare kids for College life and what will be expected of them. The American System could learn alot for some of the Asian and European Education systems.

On the flipside some of those Asian systems (and specifically all the extra work they do outside of school) could learn some things from the American educational system too.

Not saying ours is great but there are faults with pretty much every educational system created to date; I don't know enough about some of the European ones specifically Scandinavian which seem to rank highly to opine.

        
Message 13 of 15
mikesonthemend
Valued Contributor

The "affordable" health care act took student loans from the free market and made the all government. Most were always government backed, but underwriting standards were abolished. It was free money for all students to use on whatever they wanted.

Another benefit, tuition skyrocketed. A great benefit to the supporters of the "afforable" health care act.

Living through Darwinism is so much worse than learning about about it in school.
Message 14 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well, I guess it had to get funded somehow.

All I know is that prior to, I had very good heathcare through my Employer. After the fact, the new provider is twice as expensive and doesn't want to cover half the stuuf the old one did...

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.