cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Public Record Changes in Credit Reports

tag
beezer32
Regular Contributor

Your tax leins and civil judgments may removed next week!

All three credit bureaus will be mandated at remove from your record, 'by July 1, 2017', any civil judgment or tax lien that is not in compliance with the new Enhanced Public Record Standards. This means that any judgments or liens that do not include your name, social security number, address and birth date in full, will be removed by Transunion, Experian and Equifax within the coming days (as of this post). This should be an automatic removal and you should not have to do anything on your behalf. If these derogatory records do not include the identifying data, they will be removed by law.

Now according the to few articles I've read through, including a white paper from Transunion itself, this will only impact a around 9% of the population with a credit score. Only 9% of people with credit profiles have judgments and tax leins on their credit profiles. With that being said, if you are included in that 9% (like myself), you may see a slight bump in your scores from the three bureaus. Transunion predicts a score shift of 2.5% - 6.4% for folks having these records removed. According to Transunion, this means a +4 to +45 point jump in scores for those affected, depending you current credit score and profile. Not everyone will see major positive gains but everyone should see something from these records removals.

My next observation is whether or not that this mandate includes bankruptcy records. I've read several news articles including one from Yahoo! that stated that bankruptcy records are included in the mandate. Even the below linked white paper from Transunion states that the changes affect bankruptcy records. The problem is however, while most state and federal tax liens are not in compliance with these changes, most bankruptcy records are in compliance therefore, hardly any removals will occur. If you're are lucky and have a bankruptcy record on your files, you could see a removal. It's a slim chance though but still marginally possible.

Transunion White paper:

https://techservices.transunion.com/ctsportal/public/docs/techservices/GT-16-81354-White_paper_desig...

News References:

http://www.credittime2000.com/news/Credit-Bureaus-to-limit-the-reporting-of-public-record-data-as-of...

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/06/27/new-rules-will-cause-some-credit-scores-to-rise-july-1.html

http://www.frugaltravelguy.com/2017/03/changes-in-credit-scoring-will-make-millions-appear-more-cred...

Message 61 of 262
Anonymous
Not applicable

Millions of Credit Scores Will Improve this Weekend

Saw this article which says that many public records are going​ to be deleted this weekend because they do not meet new, stricter standards the bureau's are going to require.

Specifically, "Some tax liens that meet the enhanced reporting standards will stay on consumers’ reports, but all civil judgments will be removed because they do not meet the new standards. Consumers do not have to take any action to have the records removed, and they should see the change on their credit report soon after July 1, according to the Consumer Data Industry Association, a trade organization."

Mods not sure about linking policy so please edit out the URL if inappropriate, but I thought this would be very relevant information to share with people here.

MarketWatch: Why millions of consumers’ credit scores will suddenly improve this weekend
By Maria LaMagna
Published: June 30, 2017 3:36 p.m. ET

www.marketwatch.com/story/why-millions-of-consumers-credit-scores-will-suddenly-improve-this-weekend...

Message 62 of 262
drmceo
Contributor

Re: Finally! News on Tax Liens and Civil Judgments

The big day is here and I myself have no notifications of any changes as of yet. Anyone see or hear anything?

Message 63 of 262
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@drmceo wrote:

The big day is here and I myself have no notifications of any changes as of yet. Anyone see or hear anything?

Someone posted earlier that it would be done on / by July 10th.

Not certain what the source of the article was, but it's a holiday weekend so I can see why the implementation date wasn't basically today.

        
Message 64 of 262
masscredit
Valued Contributor

I read an article that said "beginning on July 1st".  Didn't sound like it would all happen today. 

Pre-Credit Rebuild Scores Pre-DC (3/24/22) - EQ - 524 / TU - 519 / EX - 495

Current Scores - EQ - 687 / TU - 663/ EX - 677

SDFCU Secured - $5000 / TD Bank - $5000 / Mercury - $5000 / Capital One Savor One- $5000 / Capital One QuickSiver - $4500 / Ally Master Card - $2800/ Walmart Mastercard - $2250

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 65 of 262
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would still check with CK.  

Message 66 of 262
Anonymous
Not applicable

There was a trade article posted somewhere that stated the new rules go into effect July 1st but the actual removal of old judgements/liens would begin the week of the 10th.  

Message 67 of 262
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

I would still check with CK.  

Had checks of both Experian (credit.com) and an Equifax balance update (I will be rebucketed and there will be a score change when it drops); still on both.

        
Message 68 of 262
Anonymous
Not applicable

Liens are still on all three reports enen though date of birth and social security number are NOT on lien documents. Should I write someone about this? Does anyone have a template letter? Are these liens supposed to be removed from public view by the local juristiction where originally recorded?

Message 69 of 262
sjt
Senior Contributor

Re: Public Record Changes in Credit Reports

The CRA are behind. They will start around the 10th to remove PR and liens.
American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 70 of 262
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.