Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Public Record Changes in Credit Reports

tag
CrankyDave
Regular Contributor

Re: Finally! News on Tax Liens and Civil Judgments

@Anonymous wrote:

Liens are still on all three reports enen though date of birth and social security number are NOT on lien documents. Should I write someone about this? Does anyone have a template letter? Are these liens supposed to be removed from public view by the local juristiction where originally recorded?

Yeah, I have a paid lien that's still showing on EQ and TU (EX removed it on their own a few years ago) as of today. Funny thing is that according to Equifax, the filing date was "12/1/0000", so I'm wondering if that's grounds for removal since it's 2017 years past the filing date and all... Smiley LOL

Message 71 of 262
Anonymous
Not applicable

Equifax for some reason post most liens with that same date.   

Message 72 of 262
koolerthanmost
Valued Member

Re: Public Record Changes in Credit Reports

Many of the articles that I've read state that the changes will affect all public record data including bankruptcies. 

"While Experian® and the other bureaus “anticipate no change to bankruptcy public record data” due to the fact that bankruptcies are filed with the minimum required consumer ID information like social security numbers (standard #1), this will affect civil judgment public record data." https://www.applyconnect.com/blog/3-major-credit-bureaus-will-remove-most-tax-liens-and-civil-judgme...

"Now the companies have agreed to stop listing information about liens and judgments in credit reports unless they have certain data connecting the public record more solidly to an individual, according to the Consumer Data Industry Assn. (Bankruptcy records already have that data.)" http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-credit-report-20170314-story.html

Perhaps I've been looking at this wrong. Does the SSN, birthdate, address, and name need to show on the credit file or does it just need to be referenced in the court filed documents for the public records? I was under the assumption that the credit file is the reference point that determines whether the data is listed properly. If this is the case then my BK is not listed properly. 

Message 73 of 262
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi everyone. This is my first post. I am a new single mother, and I have been trying to clear my credit up since being single, but before Jay-Z dropped 4:44 (if you dont know what that is a reference to, just ignore). Anyway, I have a MD tax lien that was paid in 2013, is reporting as paid, and before I learned about this rule, I was going to write into the credit bureaus to get it removed as it is now released and vacated. But now, with this new rule in place as of July 1st, I wrote a letter to the CBs that says :

As a result of recently updated changes to the collection of Public Record data, I am writing to request that this public record account listed above be deleted from my credit report as it does not meet the new heightened PII requirements in the enhanced public records standards.

In order for a tax lien or civil judgment to remain on a credit report, it would have to list three data points: a person's name, their address, and either their Social Security number or date of birth. This record does include the required data, and as a result, I am writing to respectfully request that this account be deleted.

I am mailing them off regular mail today. I hope to get this off because this is the most negative thing I have on my report.

Message 74 of 262
CrankyDave
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Equifax for some reason post most liens with that same date.   

Darn, I thought it was a glitch. Ah, well, I'm heading over to the county recorder's office today to get a copy of the original filing to remove any doubt as to whether it qualifies for removal. I've got the removal document, but not the original filing.

Message 75 of 262
masscredit
Valued Contributor

I hope we all don't end up with nothing. 

Pre-Credit Rebuild Scores Pre-DC (3/24/22) - EQ - 524 / TU - 519 / EX - 495

Current Scores - EQ - 687 / TU - 663/ EX - 677

TD Bank - $5000 / Mercury - $5000 / Capital One Savor One- $5000 / SDFCU Secured - $4990 / Capital One QuickSiver - $4500 / Ally Master Card - $2800/ Walmart Mastercard - $2250

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 76 of 262
CrankyDave
Regular Contributor

@masscredit wrote:

I hope we all don't end up with nothing. 

I just got a copy of the original filing for mine, and my SS# is fully redacted CIA style, so mine *ought* to fall under the guidelines. There's an 80 point gap in FICO8 and FICO2 scores between my one report that doesn't show the lien and the two that do, so I would really like those extra points for my upcoming mortgage. A mid score of 760 is entirely possible if the dang thing would go bye-bye.

Message 77 of 262
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have 3 credit card judgments on all 3 reports. Nothing has been removed yet. Mine don't show an address on my credit report but instead have an address identification number. I'm not holding my breath....
Message 78 of 262
CrankyDave
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I have 3 credit card judgments on all 3 reports. Nothing has been removed yet. Mine don't show an address on my credit report but instead have an address identification number. I'm not holding my breath....

Yeah, here's hoping that they don't slack off and miss their revised date starting on the 10th.

Message 79 of 262
Anonymous
Not applicable

Message 80 of 262
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.