Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sears Has Filed for Bankruptcy

tag
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Sears Has Filed for Bankruptcy

New York (CNN Business) Sears, the once-dominant retail chain that changed how Americans shopped and lived, has filed for bankruptcy.

The 132-year-old company has been struggling for several years and is drowning in debt. The final straw was a $134 million debt payment due Monday that it could not afford.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/15/business/sears-bankruptcy/index.html

It's heartbreaking that another beloved company from my childhood is now officially on the way out, but it's not surprising.  I worked for K-Mart (which bought Sears in 2004 then changed their name to Sears Holdings, Corp) for years as a kid/young adult in the 90s and it was easy to see the writing on the walls even back then.

K-Mart also filed Chapter 11 in 2002 and they weren't all shuttered overnight, but they were significantly downsized and I expect that to happen to Sears (even more than already) at a minimum. 

Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

Re: Sears Has Filed for Bankruptcy

Yes it's sad, but i guess we all knew it was coming.

I remember being a child and waiting patiently for the wishbook to arrive Smiley Happy

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 2 of 26
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Jnbmom wrote:

I remember being a child and waiting patiently for the wishbook to arrive Smiley Happy

Me too.  Smiley Sad

I fondly remember the WishBook, and I also remember going to the store at the mall when I was really young; next to the escalator they sold candy by the pound, and my parents would sometimes pick up a small bag of chocolate covered peanuts.  Smiley Happy

Later in the 90s I remember when the 'new' mall expanded out into the parking lot and added/built a large Sears wing... it was actually quite nice for the time.  It's still there, but I've not been there in over a decade (I suspect it's probably rather sad these days).  "Back in the day" that store had nearly everything...

Message 3 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@UncleB wrote:

@Jnbmom wrote:

Me too.  Smiley Sad

I fondly remember the WishBook, and I also remember going to the store at the mall when I was really young; next to the escalator they sold candy by the pound, and my parents would sometimes pick up a small bag of chocolate covered peanuts.  Smiley Happy

Later in the 90s I remember when the 'new' mall expanded out into the parking lot and added/built a large Sears wing... it was actually quite nice for the time.  It's still there, but I've not been there in over a decade (I suspect it's probably rather sad these days).  "Back in the day" that store had nearly everything...

Well I did not see the Sears filing BK so glad you reported! Yes, I remember the day almost when you could order a Sears house delivered to your site (almost remember as I am not quite that old). Since I live in a cold, windy, snowy climatic location I will always appreciate the enclosed indoor malls and the atmosphere such as the Southdale Shopping Center (Edina, MN) provided back to the year 1956. Ordering online works for some things but, not every thing Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

@Jnbmom wrote:

Me too.  Smiley Sad

Well I did not see the Sears filing BK so glad you reported! Yes, I remember the day almost when you could order a Sears house delivered to your site (almost remember as I am not quite that old). Since I live in a cold, windy, snowy climatic location I will always appreciate the enclosed indoor malls and the atmosphere such as the Southdale Shopping Center (Edina, MN) provided back to the year 1956. Ordering online works for some things but, not every thing Smiley Happy

The only Sears i even know of still existing in the Twin Cities now is at I94 and Marion just west of the state capitol.  Every time I drive by there the lot is almost empty.

Its pretty telling.  I am also sure, 99-99.5% that that store was one of the announced closures for 2019.

Message 5 of 26
Medic981
Valued Contributor

Sears brings back a flood of memories for me as a kid. I thought I read that they would perhaps hold off on filing bankruptcy until after Christmas. I finally realized it was the beginning of the end for Sears when Sears Tower name changed to Willis Tower in 2009.

Your FICO credit scores are not just numbers, it’s a skill.
Message 6 of 26
blindambition
Senior Contributor

Sears was my first job at 17. That’s when they started the slogan... The Softer Side of Sears. It’s sad, because back then they were having an identity crisis. They were chasing, not innovating technology.
Message 7 of 26
Medic981
Valued Contributor

@blindambition wrote:
Sears was my first job at 17. That’s when they started the slogan... The Softer Side of Sears. It’s sad, because back then they were having an identity crisis. They were chasing, not innovating technology.

It's funny you said "the softer side of Sears" as that is the slogan that always goes through my head when I hear Sears. Come to think of it I have not heard any advertising from Sears in a while.

When I got my first real job as a paramedic and moved out of my parents, Sears is where I went to purchase all of my home goods, from my Sony Trinitron television to my bedroom and living room furniture.  

Your FICO credit scores are not just numbers, it’s a skill.
Message 8 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just another VC/Hedge fund gutted company to add to the list.

Message 9 of 26
Cred4All
Valued Contributor

@UncleB wrote:

@Jnbmom wrote:

Me too.  Smiley Sad

"Back in the day" that store had nearly everything...

Exactly my thoughts.  It was seen coming for years, but still sad none the less.  'Back in the day' the Sears store card was my very first credit card.  I felt like I reached a milestone in life acquiring a card that you could buy almost anything with, they had anything under the sun in those days.  First purchase - 2 car stereos (In the day when adding your own CD player vs the stock radio was THE thing to do.)  Subsequently, that was also my first immediate lesson in poor credit management.

Message 10 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.