Credit Mentor

Re: Startup Self Lender to Help Rebuild Credit

Moved to Credit in the News

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 18
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

I don't see anything to recommend this service over a traditional secured loan from any number of financial institutions at first glance through the article.

        
Message 3 of 18
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

@Revelate wrote:

I don't see anything to recommend this service over a traditional secured loan from any number of financial institutions at first glance through the article.

I agree, nothing that couldn't be accomplished via a secured loan. However I think one of their target markets is the underbanked, who presumably couldn't access this due to lack of banking relationship.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 4 of 18
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

I can see the possibility for someone who's credit is so poor they can't get a checking or savings account.

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 5 of 18
ysenhunt25
Established Member

A person who credit is so bad that they dont have a personal checking account wont even care about starting off with this type of deal especially if there is no instant gratificaton or changes is to occur to their credit file- this is a good idea but it wont get to the avg consumer who doesnt have at the least a banking acct. These type of consumers dont even care about credit- they cash their check and live check to check- bill to bill-- 

Started Rebuilding in July 2014

FAKO Scores (Experian 650 Equifax 655) Cap1 3k Cap1 Spark 2k Discover 1100 Amex 1k Wells Fargo and Open Sky Secured 400-
Message 6 of 18
TheGardner
Valued Contributor

I read this differently. With a traditional secured loan for say $1,000 which the bank holds as security. Then you actually receive the loan funds and pay interest.

This requires no start money which in turn you receive no immediate funding. At the end of 12 months with payments of roughly $86 per month you receive the $1000 funds.

This is more of a reverse loan. I can see how this would be useful in low income homes to establish credit and savings at the same time. 

I think underbanked in this situation means no access to loan/credit services. As this won't take care of a chexsystem issue so normal banking will remain difficult even with stellar credit. But credit products will be available.

Just my 2 cents but I can see this being usefull. Not just low income but mid income/no savings can use the loan "proceeds" to then open a secured card helping to further build a profile.

If anyone needs me I will be In The Garden. Goal Score: 760 for all in 2015.
Current FICO Scores EX: 715 EQ: 756 TU: 762
Last APP April 21, 2015.
Victim of The great AMEX HP heist of Dec 1st, 2nd and 3rd of 2014.
Message 7 of 18
SCF
Valued Contributor

I think this would be a great product to pair with other savings incentives - like an Individual Development Account.  Essentially, for a very reasonable fee, the company is offering the benefits of a positive tradeline along with the simple benefits of putting $X/month aside.  The fact that it requires no initial capital beyond the first payment makes it a good fit for people with limited resources, and it has relatively little risk for the "lender" because all it really is is a savings contract.

Definitely a different approach, but I think that's welcome when we know that many people struggle to save and build good credit.

Message 8 of 18
waters
Regular Contributor

Interesting... So I agree to have a savings account.. I make monthly payments to that savings account... Company takes $3/month and in exchange thru report a positive trade line to my credit report monthly.... Once my savings account is at the agreed
amount I get all my money back.

Am I missing something?
6/2014; EX:621 EQ:627 TU:640
Cards: Capital One WORLD MC (QS): $7500 | Chase Freedom $3500
Sock: Merrick Bank $600 | Barclaycard $1250 | Sportsman's guide visa $2500

Message 9 of 18
TheGardner
Valued Contributor

Nope, that's how I understood it as well. The side benefit is you could theoretically then open a $1k secured revolver. This program could be a great idea coupled with a secured card when loan matures (if I ran this company I would offer this) the real credit steps program Smiley Tongue

If anyone needs me I will be In The Garden. Goal Score: 760 for all in 2015.
Current FICO Scores EX: 715 EQ: 756 TU: 762
Last APP April 21, 2015.
Victim of The great AMEX HP heist of Dec 1st, 2nd and 3rd of 2014.
Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.