Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Streaming Services New Trend in Credit Card Rewards

tag
SEAlifer
Established Contributor

Streaming Services New Trend in Credit Card Rewards

Forget gas and groceries—streaming services are the new trend in credit card rewards - Marketwatch.com link

AU

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Streaming Services New Trend in Credit Card Rewards

It's about time honestly, I've had both Hulu and Netflix far longer than since 2017. It's just recently that more companies have hopped that bandwagon. I tend to think most young people these days don't pay traditional Cable/Satellite, and opt for a more portable option. 

So it only makes sense to start targeting this category. As I've said before far too many CC have the same exact categories, making certain ones redundant for some people. I don't consume very much gas at all, and dining typically goes on one card to maximize rewards. Same for grocery. So it would be nice to have a broader selection to choose from, instead of it constantly being gas, grocery and dining. 

I've already began to see a nice return on my BCP streaming category.

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wouldn’t a Savor card work for streaming? Is it considered entertainment?
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Savor entertainment is only entertainment that is out of the house, it doesn’t cover any streaming services or cable or anything like that. 

Message 4 of 9
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

I’m not a fan of this rewards category to be honest. I would so prefer gas and groceries lol. You know what would be cool? A card that gives you a high cashback reward for professional fees such as licenses, continuing ed, and the like. 

Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 16.5k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 5 of 9
SEAlifer
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Savor entertainment is only entertainment that is out of the house, it doesn’t cover any streaming services or cable or anything like that. 

Still looks like a decent card but, boo!

AU

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@SEAlifer thanks. I did try iTunes and it works as entertainment but that could have changed. Now I use Apple Card for most things Apple.
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@SEAlifer wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Still looks like a decent card but, boo!

It’s meant to be the card that people turn to when they’re out on the town - food, bars, movies, events, and groceries on the way home. This card would have been perfect for me when I was in my twenties. I only came home to sleep, I ate out for every meal (literally never cooked anything), I was always at a bar or club the rest of the time. 

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@pinkandgrey wrote:

I’m not a fan of this rewards category to be honest. I would so prefer gas and groceries lol. You know what would be cool? A card that gives you a high cashback reward for professional fees such as licenses, continuing ed, and the like. 

The problem the the MCC code though right? This is possibly why they've yet to stray out of the typical 3 categories until now. After all it's already hit or miss on whether the establishemnt will code correctly.  What would professional fees fall under?

At least the BCP now has a transit category.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.