Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Student Debt Giant Navient to Borrowers: You’re on Your Own

tag
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Student Debt Giant Navient to Borrowers: You’re on Your Own

The servicer says publicly it wants to help you pay debt. In a government lawsuit, it has a different message.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-04-03/student-debt-giant-navient-to-borrowers-you-re-on...

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Student Debt Giant Navient to Borrowers: You’re on Your Own

Companies are never in the interest of the consumer...Smiley Sad
Message 2 of 4
iheartwings
Valued Contributor

This is not a shocker. 

Trying to get them to apply my additional payments in the way I directed was always quite the hassle. 

Luckily, I can now say "was" as opposed to "is" now that I've refinanced under much more favorable terms. Smiley Happy 

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

VERY interesting, particuarly as I have a nearly 25-year-old debt that's been giving me fits for most of those years. I've been quietly paying it in to Navient since December 2015, after having been in a long forbearance period (during which, naturally, interest accrued), but I wonder, should this lawsuit actually go through, if I'll end up recovering anything. In any case, I'm iffy about refinancing - the total principal left is pretty small ($5,300 or so) and my monthly payment is only $73.50 at 8%, so I'm not sure if it'd be worth the time and trouble to refinance with a different lender (Penfed?) at this point.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.