Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Subprime mortgages are back with a new name and soaring demand

tag
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

Subprime mortgages are back with a new name and soaring demand

They were blamed for the biggest financial disaster in a century. Subprime mortgages – home loans to borrowers with sketchy credit who put little to no skin in the game. After the epic housing crash, they disappeared because of strong new regulation and zero demand from investors who were badly burned. Barely a decade later, they're coming back with a new name – nonprime — and, so far, some new standards.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/realestate/subprime-mortgages-are-back-with-a-new-name-and-soaring-d...

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Kree
Established Contributor

Re: Subprime mortgages are back with a new name and soaring demand

This might be confirmation bias,  but I've been saying recently that the housing market reminds me of 2006. Good news for me I guess, as I don't plan to buy for another 2-3 years, but I hope I am wrong for the economy's sake.

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Kree wrote:

This might be confirmation bias,  but I've been saying recently that the housing market reminds me of 2006. Good news for me I guess, as I don't plan to buy for another 2-3 years, but I hope I am wrong for the economy's sake.

I feel the same way about purchasing... Robot wink

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I’m wondering if it will make whatvis already a seller’s Market in my area even more difficult for buyers in the 720-770 FICO mortgage score range due to an even greater demand.
Message 4 of 9
silvius
New Contributor

Remind me again, how did this subprime/variable APR thing turn out last time around?

January 2023: 850 (Equifax FICO 9)
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

ttulaw,

Definitely seller's market where I live also. Not looking to buy anytime soon but I can relate to what you're saying. I foresee bidding wars galore...

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Interesting.
Where I live on the west coast there’s no supply so demand is high.
On another note, I’m seeing foreclosure homes slowly creeping up. Just go on Zillow, type in zip code and then filter search to foreclose and pre-foreclose. You’ll be surprise. I’m not sure if 800k homes are sustainable but then again look at San Fran. I could be wrong.
Message 7 of 9
silvius
New Contributor

Ahhhh......'relaxed lending standards'.    It sounds so nice!   Sadly, what it really means is less regulation and more home loans defaulted on.....a slippery slope for the markets.  But hey, it is great for a quick buck if you are in the banking/mortgage industry!

January 2023: 850 (Equifax FICO 9)
Message 8 of 9
SomewhereIn505
Valued Contributor

Looking at the lenders mentioned in that article, specifically at their programs, 10 to 20% LTV doesn’t translate to me  as “not much skin in the game” for a conventional mortgage. 

3/16/18 FICO9 TU-700 EQ-669 EX-716
6/26/18 FICO9 TU-750, EQ-672, EX-789

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.