Anonymous
Not applicable

Supreme Court hears Arguments on Collection of Old Debt

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Supreme Court hears Arguments on Collection of Old Debt

Looks interesting - anyone have a link behind the WSJ pay wall?

Message 2 of 8
heavyjay
Regular Contributor

Paste this into a search engine.

Supreme Court Hears Arguments on Collection of Expired Debts

FICO 08:Jan 18, 2017: EX 800 EQ 725 TU 799
FICO 08:Feb 10, 2017: EX 788 EQ 772 TU 791 (post New Year's app spree)
In the garden as of 1/4/2017. Will remain for all of 2017.
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@heavyjay wrote:

Paste this into a search engine.

Supreme Court Hears Arguments on Collection of Expired Debts

Good call - I turned up this: http://consumerfsblog.com/2017/01/supreme-court-hears-oral-argument-midland-v-johnson/

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Message 5 of 8
cem13
Established Contributor

This ruling could be a problem with the Court and their 8 Justices.  We really need to get the 9th Justice confirmed.  My guess is a 4-4 tie in June.

FICO 08 JUL23: TU 850; EQ 846; EX 843. Clean since BK7 D/C 6/2011.
Message 6 of 8
Dalmus
Valued Contributor

It doesn't surprise me that it is Midland Funding.  They are generally a pretty slimey operation.

I get the argument, though, even if its in bad faith.  While there's a State SOL on debt, there is no Federal SOL on debt... Bankruptcy is a Federal action, so the junk debt buys use that as their "in."

Those articles don't seem to have been written by people that understand the process... So I am confused as to what the actual hearing is about.

Is Johnson being forced to pay this debt beause she didn't notice it and request that the Trustee deny the claim bases on State SOL, or is Midland Funding fighting the fact that they were denied payment by the Trustee?

NFCU MR: $25K | Venture: $21K | Amex ED: $18K | NFCU CR: $18K | Amex BCE: $15K | IT #1: $17.5K | PNC Core: $15K | PPMC:  $12K | Wells Fargo: $11K | Savor: 12K | Cap1 QS: $8.5K | Barclays Rewards: $7.75K | IT #2: $7.3K | MLife: $9.5K | Sportsman's Guide: $8.7K | PenFed PR: $5.5K | Elan Plat: $2.3K | TRV: $3.6K | BotW: $3K

Current FICO 8 Scores: EQ: 828| TU: 805 | EX: 814

Message 7 of 8
iv
Valued Contributor

@Dalmus wrote:

It doesn't surprise me that it is Midland Funding.  They are generally a pretty slimey operation.

I get the argument, though, even if its in bad faith.  While there's a State SOL on debt, there is no Federal SOL on debt... Bankruptcy is a Federal action, so the junk debt buys use that as their "in."

Those articles don't seem to have been written by people that understand the process... So I am confused as to what the actual hearing is about.

Is Johnson being forced to pay this debt beause she didn't notice it and request that the Trustee deny the claim bases on State SOL, or is Midland Funding fighting the fact that they were denied payment by the Trustee?

By the time a case gets to this point, it's usually less about who owes what, and more about setting precedent and making sure that rulings are consistent nationally.

In this case, the 11th Circuit viewed the FDCPA as overriding the Federal Bankruptcy Code, and ruled in favor of Johnson. (Midland is the one who appealled to SCOTUS.)

In other cases, at least the 2nd, 4th, 8th, and 9th Circuits have held the opposite view, that FDCPA requirements don't apply in bankruptcy cases.

That's what really at issue here, and why certiorari was granted - to put it bluntly, the SCOTUS doesn't really care about Ms Johnson's specific debt being valid under her Chapter 13 plan.  They do care about getting the circuit courts all on the same page.

A possibly interesting side-effect, based on some of the questions during oral arguements, is we might see a ruling on how much effort a creditor is required to put into checking collectibility of debts before bringing them to a bankruptcy trustee or to a court for a suit.  It'll be interesting to watch.

EQ8:850 TU8:850 EX8:850
EQ9:847 TU9:847 EX9:839
EQ5:797 TU4:807 EX2:813 - 2021-06-06
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.