Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Supreme Court sides with American Express in antitrust case

tag
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Supreme Court sides with American Express in antitrust case

The Supreme Court on Friday tossed out a lawsuit against American Express challenging its rules prohibiting merchants that accept its card from persuading shoppers to use credit cards that charge lower swipe fees.

http://thehill.com/regulation/court-battles/393932-supreme-court-sides-with-american-express-in-anti...

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

Re: Supreme Court sides with American Express in antitrust case

Yeah I saw this, can't say I agree, but that's life. Frankly, if any merchant asked me to use a MC/V instead I would gladly comply.  

Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

My barber does that..."yeah, we take AMEX but if you have anything else, please use that".  I don't care, that's why I carry a MC and a VISA, just in case a vendor doesn't accept AMEX or the system is down.  

Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

As an aside, my barber also accepts Discover but isn't a fan...lumps them with AMEX.  Is there a reason he would not be eager to do business with Discover?

Message 4 of 14
SOGGIE
Valued Contributor

@gdale6 wrote:

The Supreme Court on Friday tossed out a lawsuit against American Express challenging its rules prohibiting merchants that accept its card from persuading shoppers to use credit cards that charge lower swipe fees.

http://thehill.com/regulation/court-battles/393932-supreme-court-sides-with-american-express-in-anti...

Any INTELLIGENT merchant accepting Amex as well as other credit cards, would price their goods and services equally--factoring in a percentage of Amex sales and associated fees. I have never encountered such a situation, but should that day ever come, that merchant would not get my money for being STUPID. Ultimately, I decide from where I will shop, how much I'm willing to pay and how (which method) I'm willing to pay. My budget! My wallet! My decision!

Life was a lot simpler when what we honored was father and mother, rather than all major credit cards. ~Robert Orben
Message 5 of 14
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

@SOGGIE wrote:

@gdale6 wrote:

Any INTELLIGENT merchant accepting Amex as well as other credit cards, would price their goods and services equally--factoring in a percentage of Amex sales and associated fees. I have never encountered such a situation, but should that day ever come, that merchant would not get my money for being STUPID. Ultimately, I decide from where I will shop, how much I'm willing to pay and how (which method) I'm willing to pay. My budget! My wallet! My decision!

Back when I had my business my AmEx "discount" rate was 3.95% whereas my MC/V rate was 1.75% - credit card fees were my second highest expense - I never suggested any card over another, but small business operates on very tight margins and AmEx greed is just that greed. Note that this was before all the "Signatures" and high AF super points cards. I managed to stay in business for 18 years and would like to think I did it in an intelligent manner. Perhaps if you look at it through a small business owners perspective you may reconsider AmEx's excess "greedy" costs - you might also check out AmEx's stock disclosures to see how much money they make off swipe fees.  

Message 6 of 14
red259
Super Contributor

If merchants are going to accept amex then they shouldn't be steering customers. Either you take amex or you don't. I don't want to see an amex decal in the window and then go in order my meal or pick out what I want to buy and then feel pressured to use a different credit card. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 7 of 14
Dalmus
Valued Contributor

@SOGGIE wrote:

@gdale6 wrote:

I don't understand why somebody would get ANGRY over a card preference by a merchant.  Walking out in a righteous huff wastes more energy than the $.15 more you'd make in rewards over using another card is worth.

I personally think more small businesses should partially follow the gas station model.  Have a price based on the most often used card network.  If somebody insists on using an Amex or Discover, add the difference in the swipe fee to the final sale.

NFCU MR: $25K | Venture: $21K | Amex ED: $18K | NFCU CR: $18K | Amex BCE: $15K | IT #1: $17.5K | PNC Core: $15K | PPMC:  $12K | Wells Fargo: $11K | Savor: 12K | Cap1 QS: $8.5K | Barclays Rewards: $7.75K | IT #2: $7.3K | MLife: $9.5K | Sportsman's Guide: $8.7K | PenFed PR: $5.5K | Elan Plat: $2.3K | TRV: $3.6K | BotW: $3K

Current FICO 8 Scores: EQ: 828| TU: 805 | EX: 814

Message 8 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Probably best not to accept AMEX at all and eliminate the problem. 

Message 9 of 14
arkane
Established Contributor

How would Amex even enforce this rule?

Active:

Closed:

6/8/20:

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.