Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Synchrony Bank woes

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Synchrony Bank woes

Getting taken to the wood shed today, down -16% currently under strong credit concerns.

Q1 reported a full $0.12 miss per share and an increase of $403M loan loss provisions to $1.3B.

Loans 30+ past due rose to 4.25% from 3.85% a year ago. 

Net charge-offs as a percent of total rose to 5.33% from 4.74%.  Allowance for loan losses as a percent of total rose to 6.37% from 5.5%.

NOT good news for this bank.  Not sure if this will result in any aggressive actions down the road or not but just an FYI to those holding cards or such from this bank or to future applicants..

12 REPLIES 12
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Re: Synchrony Bank woes

I smell AAcoming and no more big cli, hang tight gonna be a bumpy rideSmiley Happy
Message 2 of 13
Aduke1122
Senior Contributor

Wonderful just what I expected !!! Thanks for sharing Op

Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just looked up the ownership holders.

The California Public Employees Retirement System is the largest institutional holder which means in value today they lost roughly $264M.

Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
I smell AAcoming and no more big cli, hang tight gonna be a bumpy rideSmiley Happy

Hmmmm. I wonder how long Synchrony knew this was coming. This might just be another reason I was turned down on that CLI attempt last month - I had been originally advised to ask for $10k, but got cold feet and trimmed it down to $6k and still got shot down. With this news, things become clearer. And more generally, as I've said ad nauseam, all this news explains why lenders are getting antsy and cracking down on users with too-big CL's, not enough use on their lines, or other question marks on their records.

Message 5 of 13
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Well Joe, im not too sure, i actually did finally break the 6k mark for Amazon asked for 10k and actually got it, though the time i spent on the phone with cs was alot longer than normal before they came back with the approval . So for now as your credit improves and score goes up i still believe you can ask. Worse they say is now and ...well ok, i guess worse is the 4506 and account closure lol. Im mentally preparing for any cld's but if it happens so be it. Ive diversified enough that my modest spend should surviveSmiley Happy
Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well Joe, im not too sure, i actually did finally break the 6k mark for Amazon asked for 10k and actually got it, though the time i spent on the phone with cs was alot longer than normal before they came back with the approval . So for now as your credit improves and score goes up i still believe you can ask. Worse they say is now and ...well ok, i guess worse is the 4506 and account closure lol. Im mentally preparing for any cld's but if it happens so be it. Ive diversified enough that my modest spend should surviveSmiley Happy

I thought Amazon was a Chase card now.  Not the case?

Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I thought Amazon was a Chase card now.  Not the case?

The Amazon store card is Sync.  The chase amazon card is visa. Two different cards. 

Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

This news, I don't know if it'll impact my plans to attempt CLI's on Cap One Platinum, Discover It and Amazon (Synchrony) over the next few months. I was thinking of trying a CLI on my unsecured Platinum in the second half of May (90+ days after the card was activated), another crack at a CLI on Amazon after the sixth statement cuts (also in May), and Discover in late June/early July. I was already considering keeping the amounts requested reasonably modest, now I'm not sure whether the overall climate will be settled enough to go ahead with those requests at all. ???

Message 9 of 13
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

Still means that 94 %to 95% of their "loans" are current and paying high APR's (those carrying a balance). While this might result in some "adjusting" of accounts, I don't think its panic time. I suspect that the cost of borrowing money aka fed rate, has been increasing so we are seeing the tightening of "everyone gets approved easy credit". I'm sure not going to adjust my spending or paying habits - although I will say I have a very thick file which provides for some flexibility if I get balance chased or CLD'd (I'll close the card). 

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.