Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TSA CC Benefit Now Means Nil for NYS Residents

tag
SarahJo
Established Contributor

TSA CC Benefit Now Means Nil for NYS Residents

I searched to see if this was previously addressed, but didn't see anything, so pardon if this has already been discussed.  But, is this real life?  Is there something I'm missing? Could living in NY become any more restrictive!?  I have 2 CC's with this benefit, mine is up for renewal and DH & 2 children were all set to get GE when we cross the Niagara border in May...I'm beyond irritated.  I definitely factored this benefit in when obtaining my IHG Premier :-( 

"Effective immediately, residents of the State of New York will no longer be eligible to apply/renew... 

Present Day...Equifax: ???, TransUnion: 777, Experian: 781
Sept. 2016...Equifax: 652, TransUnion: 608, Experian: 597
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
MAZDA3
Frequent Contributor

Re: TSA CC Benefit Now Means Nil for NYS Residents

@SarahJo wrote:

I searched to see if this was previously addressed, but didn't see anything, so pardon if this has already been discussed.  But, is this real life?  Is there something I'm missing? Could living in NY become any more restrictive!?  I have 2 CC's with this benefit, mine is up for renewal and DH & 2 children were all set to get GE when we cross the Niagara border in May...I'm beyond irritated.  I definitely factored this benefit in when obtaining my IHG Premier :-( 

"Effective immediately, residents of the State of New York will no longer be eligible to apply/renew... 

Relax. The ban isn't going to last forever. 

Message 2 of 8
Andypanda
Established Contributor

I think the reason behind the ban is NYS allowind undocument imigrents to get DL or state ids. ig you have any form of federal id, I.E. passport or millitary ID it might work. It is worth checking out.

Message 3 of 8
iced
Valued Contributor

I'm looking on the bright side of the ban. There's been a waiting list since before my daughter was born to get an interview for GE in Boston. A customs officer once said to me that getting an interview at Logan now is literally like winning Super Bowl tickets. Thanks to this ban, though, offices across New York (except Albany, which surprise surprise is closest to MA) now have wide open availability for GE interviews for New Englanders who didn't want to fly somewhere like North Dakota just to complete one.

Ok, maybe not so bright for NY residents, but your sacrifice is doing New England a solid favor.

Message 4 of 8
MAZDA3
Frequent Contributor

@Andypanda wrote:

I think the reason behind the ban is NYS allowind undocument imigrents to get DL or state ids. ig you have any form of federal id, I.E. passport or millitary ID it might work. It is worth checking out.

For the millionth time, a drivers licene is not a required document when applying for global entry, it's one of the secondary documents, for which there are several options. Do most people who have a drivers license use it when applying? Yes, because it's normally the document sitting in their wallet. But you can also use a simple state ID and I believe a military ID as well, neither of which are tied to the DMV database as far as I know. So this ban having to do with CBP being unable to access DMV records is nonsense. People that have no DMV records at all - like manhattan residents who have never had a drivers license can apply. Even minor children must apply for their own GE number. Minor children do not get to piggyback off parents GE membership like minors 12 and under can with Pre-check.

A passport IS the required document when applying for global entry. 

And the ban does not apply to Pre-check applications, which does not even require a passport.

Message 5 of 8
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@iced wrote:

I'm looking on the bright side of the ban. There's been a waiting list since before my daughter was born to get an interview for GE in Boston. A customs officer once said to me that getting an interview at Logan now is literally like winning Super Bowl tickets. Thanks to this ban, though, offices across New York (except Albany, which surprise surprise is closest to MA) now have wide open availability for GE interviews for New Englanders who didn't want to fly somewhere like North Dakota just to complete one.

Ok, maybe not so bright for NY residents, but your sacrifice is doing New England a solid favor.

Yeah, the wait at LAX was like 4 months back in 2017, so I just scheduled at an Arizona border crossing and got it done the next day IIRC.  Totally worth it before my Asia tour at the cost of one day out of my life and whatever gas cost for me back then.

        
Message 6 of 8
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Revelate wrote:

@iced wrote:

Yeah, the wait at LAX was like 4 months back in 2017, so I just scheduled at an Arizona border crossing and got it done the next day IIRC.  Totally worth it before my Asia tour at the cost of one day out of my life and whatever gas cost for me back then.

Heh, fail: read later that evening at the various trusted traveller programs were now shut down for new applicants.  Sowwy iced no benefit for MA users apparently anymore!

        
Message 7 of 8
iced
Valued Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

Heh, fail: read later that evening at the various trusted traveller programs were now shut down for new applicants.  Sowwy iced no benefit for MA users apparently anymore!

dhs.gov confirmed my appointment for my infant child in NYC in May. Until I hear otherwise, we should still be good to complete GE for the kid.

My guess is the appication got approved in time so this isn't applicable to us...

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.