cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Perfect Credit Score is 760 (and up)

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: The Perfect Credit Score is 760 (and up)

i started in credit 8mo ago and i'm already almost at 760 in TU, so i figure i should get to 800 sometime next year. people say it takes a long time to get to 850 but this seems pretty fast.

Message 11 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

i started in credit 8mo ago and i'm already almost at 760 in TU, so i figure i should get to 800 sometime next year. people say it takes a long time to get to 850 but this seems pretty fast.

I'm just 2 months ahead of you (AoYA 10) with a clean file and 2 cards and our scores are similar. Things really slow down after the 6mo jump. My TU F8 742 (1 inq, aging off in late December) hasn't changed since AoYA 8mo.

I thought maybe AAoA reaching 1 year would be something special, but all I got from it was +10pts on the 3 EX 9 scores.

The FICO Score Estimator (not simulator) is pretty good with thin files, and it predicted a 760 with 2 cards at 8mo. The 1 inq was holding me back. It's now predicting a maximum score of 785 for my profile at 2 years.

I don't seem to have gained anything from starting my credit file with an SSL/credit builder loan and making payments on it for one year before applying for any credit cards. That last open month with the SSL at 8.47% did boost my F8 scores to EQ 750, TU 728, and EX 748 before applying for any cards, so I started with a total $8500 credit limit.

Other than that, my scores pretty much track with most people who just start from the beginning with a card or two.

Message 12 of 22
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

It's logarithmic: it slows down a lot for new files.

Basically 1 year in you can be at 760, 2 years if you stay zealously clean 800... after that though, it's a slog clawing for those last 50 points and I think you might actually take a dip in there somewhere like at the 3 year mark where you may get rebucketed.

I'm nearly 100% confident you can't hit an 850 even under best case scenario before 5 years AAOA, and it might take a stronger file than that too between oldest account and AAOA.  We don't have great data around minimum time to reach 850, I might have gotten close if I hadn't bought a condo and been kinda account happy on EX over time.

        
Message 13 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

If reaching 850 fairly quickly is a real goal of yours, you may want to consider not apping for all those "future" cards in your sig. And AZEO.

Otherwise it may take you longe rthan you think, each new card will scould possibly set you back about 5-10 points.  

Message 14 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

I started a thread maybe a year ago asking anyone that hit 850 to give their AoOA.  I don't believe anyone that replied had an AoOA of under maybe 13-14 years.  I'm not saying that it can't be done a little sooner than then, but if so it would be exactly that, a little bit sooner.  

Anyone that grabs an 800 score in 2 years is off to a great start, but IMO it would be at least a decade longer before they saw 850. 

Message 15 of 22
omgitsMatt
Frequent Contributor

BBS is definitely right.

Not all 760s are created equal.

781/765/783

I have 6 accounts. 1 as an AU.

My oldest is 12 months, my youngest 5 months.

If I were to try to get anything other than a subprime CC or loan, I'd probably get denied. I could probably snag an auto loan at a good rate, but that's it. I'm a year away from being able to use these scores for anything other than looking at.

And if I add 1 account, I may maintain the 760s, but if I add 2 accounts or carry any kind of balance they're gone for sure.

Message 16 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

that's why i don't want to add an au account, it will become a big question about how much of the score is really mine which might lead to denials. i think i'm doing well enough without it, i've only been denied for one app, i'm 4/5 for apps. so i feel real good where i'm at right now. hopefully my limits will grow, cli's have been coming in slow and low.

my original goal was to hit 720 in 6mo and i did it on TU. my new goal is to get into the 740+ green range, hopefully hit 800 by the end of next year. i just hit 739 the ceiling of "good" and did not break through so maybe they're capping my score right now due to profile age.

Message 17 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

So after reading all of this and the posts that followed, i'm starting to get a better idea how i got approved for cards from conservative banks, that i "thought" i shouldn't have at my scores and profile.   I have an account over 10 years old, and all the cards i got since i started my rebuild in 2017 have a perfect payment history.  

I do alot on the Navy/Penfed pages, so i preach DTI as a means to getting better with Navy.  I would say that a thin file 760, might not have as well of a chance for approval as i do in some cases due to thin/thick profile.  I am sure that for the ones talking about APR, a clean file does help more for that part of it.  As always, YMMV  You shouldn't be carrying a balance if you want an 850 someday tho. 

Message 18 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm a banker of 20+ years, and in my mind, and my bank's mind there is zero difference between a 760 and 850.  You gain nothing after passing the 760 mark from a rate, fee or risk assessment standpoint.   

Message 19 of 22
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I started a thread maybe a year ago asking anyone that hit 850 to give their AoOA.  I don't believe anyone that replied had an AoOA of under maybe 13-14 years.  I'm not saying that it can't be done a little sooner than then, but if so it would be exactly that, a little bit sooner.  

Anyone that grabs an 800 score in 2 years is off to a great start, but IMO it would be at least a decade longer before they saw 850. 

I just checked an old report of mine, and I was 850 on all bureaus for FICO 8 and 9, with 9 years 3 months.   Not sure if that counts as a little under 13-14!    Also no idea if that is my lowest AAoA with 850, as I wasn't monitoring scores earlier.

I think asking MyFico is going to get a somewhat unrepresentative population, with a lot of rebuilders (later mitigated by extreme score grooming via AZEO etc).  

Message 20 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.