Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The problem with cashless restaurants

tag
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

The problem with cashless restaurants

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/smallbusiness/the-problem-with-cashless-restaurants/ar-BBJaSQI?li=BB...

I posted a thread on this "no cash accepted" Visa program previously, (7.12.17 Would you shop at a store or restaurant that refuses to take cash?) but this is a good article that looks at both sides.

Final paragraph: "It’s true that going out to restaurants isn’t a right. But in an era when an increasing number of restaurants no longer accept legal tender, it’s useful to think about who this system benefits most: the businesses and banks, at the expense of consumers."

Message 1 of 46
45 REPLIES 45
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: The problem with cashless restaurants

Forced cashless isnt a good idea, it cuts out a whole range of possible customers. There are people where I live that have a bank account just to cash their paychecks or receive their SS and they take it all out and pay cash for everything. I could go into other areas of the argument but this isnt the place for such arguments.

Message 2 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

@gdale6wrote:

Forced cashless isnt a good idea, it cuts out a whole range of possible customers. There are people where I live that have a bank account just to cash their paychecks or receive their SS and they take it all out and pay cash for everything. I could go into other areas of the argument but this isnt the place for such arguments.

Good point gdale6!

Message 3 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

I charge almost everything. Now and then when I am eating lunch alone at a small non-chain restaurant I do pay cash. Doing so because I know that using a CC I am costing the owner. I know of a couple of restaurants that do not take AmEx because of the swipe cost.

Message 4 of 46
MakingProgress
Senior Contributor

Personally I operate as a cashless person. However my Dad has multiple bank accounts (won't use a debit card, writes checks for bills) and credit cards (only uses them for online purchases or travel) and he uses cash for all other purchases.    He would get up and walk out of a resturant that won't take cash, so that place won't ever get his business. 

FICO 8 Starting Score

Current Scores

Garden Goal is All Reports Clean – Achieved 11/26/20
Message 5 of 46
arkane
Established Contributor

Doesn't affect me personally since I use cash maybe once a month, but I can definitely see the downsides to forced cashless. Maybe one way to do it would be to offer some incentive to swipe instead? 

It's funny though because all the restaurants I frequent actually prefer cash, and even offer a 2-3% "cash discount" since they don't get hit with swipe fees. I suppose I need to go visit something more "upscale" and "posh". Smiley Very Happy

Active:

Closed:

6/8/20:

Message 6 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

I actually know of a restaurant that does not accept any CC payments. There is an ATM machine inside. The restaurant wins both ways: a fee from the ATM and cash that just might not be reported!

Message 7 of 46
arkane
Established Contributor

Was this guy the owner? Smiley Happy

Austin Powers - Dr Evil

Active:

Closed:

6/8/20:

Message 8 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

You've been there???

Message 9 of 46
arkane
Established Contributor

Smiley WinkSmiley LOL

Active:

Closed:

6/8/20:

Message 10 of 46
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.