Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The tyranny of credit scores

tag
Dalmus
Valued Contributor

Re: The tyranny of credit scores

Your "nondescript experiences" comment is funny... I'm all about spending money (that I have) on fun vacations, but I always remember something an older co-worker told me once, before Facebook was a thing.
Somebody came into our office and wanted to show us their photos from their recent vacation. After they left, my co-worker told me he doesn't like looking at other people's vacation pictures. I asked why, and he said that he and his wife used to take lots of pictures on their vacations until they realized they themselves only ever saved a handful of the pictures. If they themselves only cared about 1% of the pictures they took, he couldn't imagine how other people felt about the other 99% they were forced to look at.
Seems obvious, but he was so right. People try to capture the "experience" of their trip in photos... landscapes, trees, rock formations, interesting looking bugs, etc. All of these types of photos look great, sure... Except we've all seen those same photos a hundred times in nature shows, or ads on TV or in books. People will be polite and "like" your picture of the silver dome at Disney, but nobody really does care about it. The only pictures that are valuable are the ones that show YOU standing in front of Epcot Center with your kids.

NFCU MR: $25K | Venture: $21K | Amex ED: $18K | NFCU CR: $18K | Amex BCE: $15K | IT #1: $17.5K | PNC Core: $15K | PPMC:  $12K | Wells Fargo: $11K | Savor: 12K | Cap1 QS: $8.5K | Barclays Rewards: $7.75K | IT #2: $7.3K | MLife: $9.5K | Sportsman's Guide: $8.7K | PenFed PR: $5.5K | Elan Plat: $2.3K | TRV: $3.6K | BotW: $3K

Current FICO 8 Scores: EQ: 828| TU: 805 | EX: 814

Message 11 of 15
silvius
New Contributor

Well said.   An occasional photo from a trip might not be so bad, but we all have friends that post every **bleep** thing they do, whether it is eating lobster locally or basking in the sun in Mexico.  It gets old after a while.

January 2023: 850 (Equifax FICO 9)
Message 12 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Most people have a hard time distinguishing between what one wants vs. what one needs.  Tends to make life a lot easier when you can.

Message 13 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Of course credit scores are becoming all important, debt slavery is the new and far more profitable form of chattel slavery. When costs of goods sold so completely overshadow average incomes, debt slavery is the automatic outcome. Less than 100 years ago mortgages were 10 years, and now we have 84 month car loans.

I don't care for banks and aside from a 15 year mortgage, I’ve been living a cash lifestyle since my BK. I burned several TBTF banks pretty hard, but paid every cent back to my CU. Wall Street banker crooks got me into my BK, and my current credit rebuild is merely a tool to use to my financial advantage, squeezing out every cash back or travel benefit I possibly can. 

Although the banking establishment is a necessary evil, I choose to put myself in the strongest position possible should I  ever unexpectedly require credit, which hopefully will never happen again once my mortgage is paid.

Message 14 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree the CRA should be more accountable for ensuring accurate info.  I was named after my grandmother who was born in 1925 and you would think they would at least verify DOB before adding things to either of our credit report but they don't.  When she passed away it was an absolute nightmare because it keeps saying I was deceased.

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.