Caardvark
Frequent Contributor

U.S. Citizens Don't Require a Government Issued Credit Score

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
SanDiegoCredit
New Contributor

Re: U.S. Citizens Don't Require a Government Issued Credit Score

A lot of opinion on that article. My take is that there is definitely an underserved community and REACh could certainly help some folks if executed correctly. Time will tell.

Credit Age:

Gardening.
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm just curious if a person can opt out of this? Not everyone feels a credit score is needed, especially those who pay cash for everthing. 

And why are they trying to target those certain individuals? Are there simply too many people "off the grid" for their taste?

Message 3 of 6
SanDiegoCredit
New Contributor

Here is a much better read on what it is.

It appears to be directed at underserved communites.  Imagine how hard life would be if you didn't have access to credit.  No loan for car, no loan for house... Etc.

>The OCC recognizes that removing structural barriers to financial inclusion will result in broader participation in the economy and will help millions of people, previously left out of the system, to pursue their American dreams.

Credit Age:

Gardening.
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

So they basically feel that it's not enough to have just the middle class in debt?

Message 5 of 6
sxa001
Valued Contributor

The article feels like an opinion piece that is very much pro our current system.  I do think it is worth exploring alternative credit scoring programs for government backed loans in an effort to help people get out of poverty.  I do think that we should also look at the bigger picture of what causes generations of poverty.  

I also think that any kind of government alternative credit rating on individuals should be an opt-in program.  

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.