cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US banks to begin issuing credit cards to “responsible” adult with no credit

tag
Slabenstein
Valued Contributor

Re: US banks to begin issuing credit cards to “responsible” adult with no credit

I can't decide if "UltraFICO" sounds more like a superhero or a diet drink.

Message 21 of 39
805orbust
Valued Contributor

Re: US banks to begin issuing credit cards to “responsible” adult with no credit

@sarge12  in my experience nothing nefarious is ever sold as such. There's always another story. Hard pass for me. 😉

Message 22 of 39
DONZI
Established Contributor

@Anonymous- I get the impression that you were happy with one credit card, it's defect and chose to live without personal debts, etc.. Cash and carry, like I lived for the better part of 20 years. I wasn't interested in my personal credit for a long time, however since I knew of such things as credit ratings, the penalty of a thin credit file was my own doing. I have been amazed how being responsible with finances in the short year since I have began to use credit cards again has done to my score. It seems the credit is available for the taking already.

Somewhat a different take on it, there are plenty of responsible people out there who don't want to use credit. I find it scary that regulators assume that responsible people need or want credit in the first place.... responsible people I imagine can in fact get credit to demonstrate their ability to handle money, if they want.

--

In regard to the data sharing.. I don't like it. I feel used already with what goes on now. However I knowingly got back into the 21st century feeling that I was boarding a run-away train. I still have a majority of boundaries on what I will or won't sacrifice for convenience, etc.

2014 credit2020 credit2021 credit2023 credit
paypal credit imagecredit card imagecredit card imagecredit card imagecredit card imagecharge card imagecredit card imagecredit card imagecharge card imagecharge card image
[2020-12-09]=[EQ8|786]-[TU8|746]-[EX8|772] .... gardening until I can't (again).
[2023-10-01]=[EQ8|797]-[TU8|776]-[EX8|775]
Message 23 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

Interesting thread and comments! Buyer Beware Smiley Sad

ca·ve·at emp·tor ...
Message 24 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

@DONZI wrote:

@Anonymous- I get the impression that you were happy with one credit card, it's defect and chose to live without personal debts, etc.. Cash and carry, like I lived for the better part of 20 years. I wasn't interested in my personal credit for a long time, however since I knew of such things as credit ratings, the penalty of a thin credit file was my own doing. I have been amazed how being responsible with finances in the short year since I have began to use credit cards again has done to my score. It seems the credit is available for the taking already.

Somewhat a different take on it, there are plenty of responsible people out there who don't want to use credit. I find it scary that regulators assume that responsible people need or want credit in the first place.... responsible people I imagine can in fact get credit to demonstrate their ability to handle money, if they want.

--

In regard to the data sharing.. I don't like it. I feel used already with what goes on now. However I knowingly got back into the 21st century feeling that I was boarding a run-away train. I still have a majority of boundaries on what I will or won't sacrifice for convenience, etc.

Let me clarify if I may. Believe it is good for people to have the option and "Optional it Should be". Hate all the data sharing but we all pay to have most everything we do tracked through that hand held device we carry. I am one the most private people you could ever know. No social media of any kind ever and intend to keep it that way with the one exception of this forum and it is anonymous. Quite honestly I don't fit today's culture at all nor do I want to, call me a bit antiquated if you will.

Yes was quite content with the one card which would keep scores generated until dispute remarks. Did\do deal with local banks for an occasional installment (last was 2012) and they like scores too. Had Paypal Credit as well, non reporting until Sync and that's when I got scores back, late 2019. Here comes Covid and got in the game because I didn't want to handle cash all the time. 5 personal and 3 business cards in last 15 months, made money for collecting and using. Scores +/- 800 depending on bureau (Experian hammered with HPs) and utilization 1/10th of 1%. Now my spend is tracked, nothing to hide but don't like it.

Never have I had depository accounts with big banks with exception of PenFed CU and no intention of doing so. Do I use there credit card products, yes I sure do and that will be the extent of relationship. Call me a mattress man but that has its own issues of theft by government in devaluation of currency. Think of it this way a $100 bill from 1976 kept all these years, what would it have bought then vs what it will buy now.

I still believe it's a good thing for "some people". Would I take that route, not a chance! It was just stating that I understand how you can be penalized for being responsible and could possibly help "some people". 

Message 25 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

^Please excuse grammatical error.... should have been their card products not there.

Message 26 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

according to the latest Citi insert on info sharing there's not a lot that I can actually opt out from, basically only my credit worthiness, "marketing" via their affiliates and nonaffiliates. So it feels like we're already at the point of them sharing everything that's need for this process anyways. 

As for the actual process I can't imagine anyone who isn't using credit would need access to credit products based on their "financial status" in first place, if you're a cash only person why would one need access to a loan/credit card via alternate means than a classic credit score?

I do understand the fact that in today's world some form of Credit is necessary if one want's to rent etc. 

Also isn't this in some way going against the ECOA discrimination policy if they're targeting people due to their finances rather then their actual payment history?

Message 27 of 39
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@gdale6 , you always find the most interesting articles! Thank you !

Message 28 of 39
sarge12
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Interesting thread and comments! Buyer Beware Smiley Sad

ca·ve·at emp·tor ...

A good question is, if there is no credit, what criteria is to be used to determine who is responsible, and who is not. Who is going to be making that determination?

TU fico08=812 07/16/23
EX fico08=809 07/16/23
EQ fico09=812 07/16/23
EX fico09=821 07/16/23
EQ fico bankcard08=832 07/16/23
TU Fico Bankcard 08=840 07/16/23
EQ NG1 fico=802 04/17/21
EQ Resilience index score=58 03/09/21
Unknown score from EX=784 used by Cap1 07/10/20
Message 29 of 39
NoMoreE46
Community Leader
Senior Contributor

Major banks may issue credit cards to those with no credit score

Message 30 of 39
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.