tag
Hex
Valued Contributor
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: USAA vs. Wells Fargo. Literally.

So USAA has decided to become a patent troll then... 

I don't really care about Wells Fargo but they're going to use this to try to bully CUs into ponying up. 

It's also not their tech. Mitek filed for mobile deposit patents back in 2008 and they were the supplier for USAA's old scanner-based remote deposit technology. USAA unsuccessfully sued them for patent infringement already with the outcome being both parties' patents being intact and no royalties being paid by either of them. I suspect things are about to get really nasty and a lot of us are going to see mobile deposit disabled. 

Also, Mitek is the supplier for Wells Fargo so this verdict threatens their own patents. It's a really underhanded move by USAA. 

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

So USAA has decided to become a patent troll then... 

I don't really care about Wells Fargo but they're going to use this to try to bully CUs into ponying up. 

It's also not their tech. Mitek filed for mobile deposit patents back in 2008 and they were the supplier for USAA's old scanner-based remote deposit technology. USAA unsuccessfully sued them for patent infringement already with the outcome being both parties' patents being intact and no royalties being paid by either of them. I suspect things are about to get really nasty and a lot of us are going to see mobile deposit disabled. 

Also, Mitek is the supplier for Wells Fargo so this verdict threatens their own patents. It's a really underhanded move by USAA. 

I also wonder if they are all susceptible to a prior art claim. I'm thinking of OpenCV here.

"The first alpha version of OpenCV was released to the public at the IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition in 2000, and five betas were released between 2001 and 2005. The first 1.0 version was released in 2006."

"Officially launched in 1999 the OpenCV project was initially an Intel Research initiative..."

I never used those versions of OpenCV, but I would think they had at least some form of rudimentary edge detection/image scanning that is common to later versions. See here for some of its common uses today: How to Build a Kick-*** Mobile Document Scanner in Just 5 Minutes (2014) 

I also hope USAA loses, just as I always hoped for Oracle to lose vs. Google over copyrightable software APIs.

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

No clue all of this activity on patent infringements was taking place related to Mobile banking? Sure glad you gave us a "heads up" on this Smiley Sad

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

While I don't use this feature hardly ever, maybe twice in the pst 5 years for an oddball check I've received. But if I had to pay to use the serice, then I'd pass. And just walk,  I mena drive to the Bank and do it the old fashioned way. 

And while I do feel that people should be compensated for their work/ideas that has gone into a patent. How would other Banks be able to make Features like this cost effective yet remain free for their cistomers? 

I'm not saying I feel sorry for one bank from another, they're all crooks IMO.  I'm just curious what “pay their fair share” really means.

Message 5 of 10
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

While I don't use this feature hardly ever, maybe twice in the pst 5 years for an oddball check I've received. But if I had to pay to use the serice, then I'd pass. And just walk,  I mena drive to the Bank and do it the old fashioned way. 

And while I do feel that people should be compensated for their work/ideas that has gone into a patent. How would other Banks be able to make Features like this cost effective yet remain free for their cistomers? 

I'm not saying I feel sorry for one bank from another, they're all crooks IMO.  I'm just curious what “pay their fair share” really means.

Cost most likely wouldn't be passed on to the end user other than the fees one already sometimes pays on accounts which can be gotten around through a variety of twerks.

I'm a little leery of USAA's case here, good grief it's nothing more than what amounts to some OCR on a picture and we've been doing that for a long time... admittedly there's a lot of checks that need to go into determining if it's a legit check but that's solveable, and if USAA wrote the code to do it, and then it was pilfered by Wells or anyone else, then yes royalty/license fees should be paid just like any other infringement of IP.  

I just can't believe it cost that much in development.  200 million in damages?  I don't understand how it cost that much for that feature to be built in the first place.

        
Message 6 of 10
VPExecutive
Frequent Contributor

The respect boat for USAA sailed a long time ago... They're a joke now.

All started when they closed my 3 credit cards and my checking account without notice and out of the blue. I lost my Limitless card (which they also stopped allowing applciations for, another joke). 

Suing one bank because they use the mobile deposit feature? Almost every financial institution has mobile deposit now. Why Wells Fargo? 

Message 7 of 10
OmarR
Established Contributor

@VPExecutive wrote:

All started when they closed my 3 credit cards and my checking account without notice and out of the blue. I lost my Limitless card (which they also stopped allowing applciations for, another joke). 

Suing one bank because they use the mobile deposit feature? Almost every financial institution has mobile deposit now. Why Wells Fargo? 

They are a joke because they shut you down? What was the reason for the shutdown?

EQ=850   EX=845   TU=843       0/24       UTIL=$1    AZEO

Message 8 of 10
VPExecutive
Frequent Contributor

@OmarR wrote:

@VPExecutive wrote:

They are a joke because they shut you down? What was the reason for the shutdown?

The best part is they don't have one. I even called and inquiried about this. 

And because they sue one company for a patent infringment when virtually every other bank has used the same technology. 

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is kind of funny actually because just yesterday USAA was trying to convince me to switch my main banking from Wells Fargo to them. I told the guy I was leery to do that because they have no branches anywhere near my area. I asked him if he offered mobile deposit like Wells Fargo did and he said, "Actually, we invented mobile deposit and own the patent on that." Lol, I had no idea about the back story behind that comment and just said, "Oh, really? That's interesting."

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.